Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me decide

i'm choosing between a refurb MBP with old chip for $1,599. Or i can buy a MBP with the new chip for $1,799 with my edu discount.

The $1,799 computer has slightly better specs...do you think it is worth the extra $$$$----I will use the computer for basic tasks...word processing, web surfing, itunes, etc.

thanks in advance

ibook

Posted on Oct 26, 2006 6:53 AM

3 replies

Oct 26, 2006 6:57 AM in response to yojimbo1

Welcome to Apple Discussions!
Basic tasks like that you really only need a MacBook.
The new MacBook Pro also has an additional Firewire port the older MacBook Pro did not and is able to upgrade its RAM further to 3 GB, and build to order can have a larger hard drive without your having to do it yourself. If you have a lot of tunes, that might be the make or break point for you.

Oct 26, 2006 7:57 AM in response to yojimbo1

i'm choosing between a refurb MBP with old chip for
$1,599. Or i can buy a MBP with the new chip for
$1,799 with my edu discount.

The $1,799 computer has slightly better specs...do
you think it is worth the extra $$$$----I will use
the computer for basic tasks...word processing, web
surfing, itunes, etc.

thanks in advance

If all you are using it for is basic tasks, you could probably get by with the MacBook instead and save yourself some money.

However, if you think there is a possibility you might be using the unit for anything more demanding like graphics programs or graphic intensive games, film editing etc, I would definitely pay the $200.00 and get the best MBP available.

Please help me decide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.