Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update my iMac to 10.10.3 but the iMac fails to restart. It gets stuck on software update launcher.

I have tried to update to 10.10.3 several times. The IMAC (early 2008) fails to restart and seems to get stuck (no commands work) on software update launcher. I then have to do a soft reset to use the IMAC.

Any thoughts?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 11:43 AM

Try to start into the Recovery Partition (Command +R) and the open Disk Utility and run Verify Disk and Repair Disk. If the drive reports errors after 2-3 passes then it needs to be replaced. If the drive is OK then re-install OS X from the Recovery Partition.

3 replies

Jul 1, 2015 12:49 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your help. I ran the disk utility and it shows no problems with the hard drive. I was able to get 10.10.3 to load from the reinstall. But the machine still will not shutdown and gets locked at the software launcher update screen.

Naturally 10.10.4 will not work. I am about to go back through the same process you recommended which allowed 10.10.3 to load. If you have any other idea, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again for your help.

Jul 1, 2015 2:45 PM in response to jfexum

jfexum wrote:

Thanks for your help. I ran the disk utility and it shows no problems with the hard drive. I was able to get 10.10.3 to load from the reinstall. But the machine still will not shutdown and gets locked at the software launcher update screen.

Naturally 10.10.4 will not work. I am about to go back through the same process you recommended which allowed 10.10.3 to load. If you have any other idea, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again for your help.

I still believe you have a hard drive problem, Disk Utility may not be picking it up. I would make an appointment at your local Apple Store and have them run some tests. There is no charge for this, an alternative is to take it to an Apple Authorized Service Provider. They can also test but they are independent of Apple and may charge for testing. To locate a AASP in your area click:

https://locate.apple.com/country

update my iMac to 10.10.3 but the iMac fails to restart. It gets stuck on software update launcher.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.