Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp running Windows 8.1 does not recognize the USB-C adaptor on my Macbook 12"

I have a MacBook 12" running Windows 8.1. When I plug in the Apple USB-C multiport adapter it says "USB device not recognized". The device manager lists an "unknown device" with the device status;

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The USB device returned an invalid USB BOS descriptor."

Strangely, the device seems to work for most things...I can plug in a USB drive, and external keyboard/mouse, and a VGA monitor no problem. But when I plug in my iPhone 6, it cannot tether the internet (works fine if I boot to Mac OS).

It seems like the driver for the USB-C from bootcamp is not working. Any ideas?

MacBook, Windows 8, USB-C VGA adapter not recognized

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 3:40 PM

12 replies

Jun 7, 2015 5:19 PM in response to zagotta

Your driver is not starting correctly.

1. Leave the device plugged in and restart Windows. Check Device Manager.

2. If that does not work, then

a. Copy your entire Bootcamp folder to your Desktop (or any other folder of you choice).

b. Plug-in your device and check that you have a yellow triangle.

c. With the device plugged in, run setup.exe in the Bootcamp folder, which will reinstall/repair the driver.

d. Check you Device Manager.

Jun 7, 2015 5:52 PM in response to Loner T

Step 1 didn't work. Device manager still shows error after rebooting with device plugged in.

Step 2...You mean the bootcamp folder in the Programs Files folder in Windows? Should I copy it or move it? In any case, it does not have a setup.exe in it...only a Bootcamp.exe (which appears to do nothing when I double click it) and a folder Boot Camp.Resources. Sorry for the stupid questions...I really appreciate your help.

Jun 7, 2015 7:09 PM in response to zagotta

OK...I figure out what you mean by Step 2. I downloaded the bootcamp files to a USB drive with bootcamp assistant on the Mac, then copied them to the Windows partition and ran setup.exe. It appeared to have reinstall the divers, but, after a reboot, the same problem occurred. See below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Somehow this thread got marked "solved". It is not solved. Any ideas? Does anybody have these adapters working without an error?

Jun 7, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Loner T

No luck. I tried uninstalling the "unknown device" driver and also the other USB drivers, then running setup.exe, both with the adapter in and with it out. When it was in, I actually got the error message "USB device not recognized" while setup.exe was still running. When the adapter was out, I got the error as soon as I put it in (after rebooting). Not that nothing is actually plugged into the adaptor.

Do you know what this "unknown device" driver is for? The USB 3 port seems to be working using the generic USB hub and generic superspeed USB hub (which both say the device is working properly). Is it for the USB-C? For the VGA? My only signs that the system is not right is the error message saying "USB device not recognized", the "unknown device" error in the device manager, and the fact that my iPhone won't tether with a USB cable (I can still tether with WiFi).

Is there a way to find out the name of the driver it is looking for?

Jun 10, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Loner T

I tried both by USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter and my USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, both have exactly the same problem: Windows reports "USB device not recognized" and the device manager shows an unknown device with error code 43. That rules out a hardware problem with the adapter. Is anybody NOT having this problem with their MacBook 12 running bootcamp (Windows 8.1)? I suspect that Apple just didn't provide the Windows driver with bootcamp on the new MacBook (the same thing that happened with the Bluetooth driver).

Bootcamp running Windows 8.1 does not recognize the USB-C adaptor on my Macbook 12"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.