Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Installer says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Hi, Ashton Neale here, I recently ran into a problem while upgrading my mac. I have a Mac OS X 10.6.3 Retail installer. When I create the installation disk and boot from it, it says "Mac Os X can't be installed on this computer." My 32gb flash drive is formatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Table and when I boot up, I select main language and then it says "Mac Os X can't be installed on this computer." I cannot get to disk utility because all the utilities are grayed out, as a matter a fact, everything is. I researched for days and nothing helps. Here is my mac's info

Year: Late 2006 iMac G5

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz RAM

Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

If you need more info, i can get it. (except system profiler is missing)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Late 2006

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 1:51 PM

13 replies

Jun 7, 2015 2:19 PM in response to aneale2310

Hi Ashton, as of note it's not a G5, G5s are IBM CPUs & can run no higher than 10.5.8

Is it for sure a Core 2 Duo?

How much RAM does it have?

Snow Leopard/10.6.x Requirements...

General requirements

* Mac computer with an Intel processor

* 1GB of memory (I say 4GB at least, more if you can afford it)

* 5GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)

* DVD drive for installation

* Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

* Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Jun 9, 2015 9:55 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi bdaqua. I have already told you how much ram it has. And yes, it is an intel. I went to the apple menu and it showed "Intel Core 2 Duo" It has 1gb of memory, it has 209 gb available. I have a mac os x 10.6.3 retail installer.dmg. We have xfinity. And i don't use mobile me. I may have the wrong information because all i did was just look up late 2006 iMac and the pictures looked exactly like my mac. And once again i clarify, the cd is not grey, it is a white retail installation disk.

Jun 9, 2015 6:24 PM in response to alxyamaguchi

I don't know. I will look it up. I also have a mac os x 10.5.4 leopard installer retail.dmg but it needs to be converted to iso first. If I can convert that, then I can either stay with it or get 10.5.8 leopard and then upgrade. What could help is if you guys could find me a converter program to do it. When I use disk utility, It syas the dmg is not recognized. Thats because it needs to be converted but I don't have a program

Jun 28, 2015 5:47 PM in response to aneale2310

Found it out, for those of you who have been following this post for an answer, this may be a bummer. Your Answer: Your computer can only run a 32-bit mac os x installation which snow leopard doesn't support. So, breaking it down means that you either have an Intel Core Duo, and not an Intel Core 2 Duo. But for all of you who came searching for this forum, the answer is Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I have enjoyed the operating system actually. Leopard has over 300 improvements succeeding its predecessor Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. As for all Intel Macs that can't run OS X 10.6, you get boot camp assistant! This allows you to keep a partition of your hard drive for Windows. So Grab yourself an Installation Disk of OS X Leopard and upgrade your mac. NOTE: OS X 10.5 supports Power-PC based Macs!

Mac OS X 10.6.3 Installer says "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.