Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update to iOS 8.3 download only and download and update take extremely long time and i get fatal errors during download. some times errors are late in the process and sometimes early

first off i have no wi-fi at home. how long does an update take? i have tried (repeatedly) to update through iTunes and have been totally frustrated. it usually says downloading 1 item 10 hours remaining (anything up to 12 hours). i get part of the download then get an error (usually 9006). i have received error messages after about 2 hours of download up to almost finished and doing processing file before i get the connection error and have to start over.

is there a place i can download this without iTunes or wi-fi? my mac is running the latest iTunes on 10.9.5 and i do not plan to upgrade to 10.10. i have no current updates required for my mac. the hosts file is correct. to the best of my knowledge none of the ports required are blocked (not my network so not 100% certain on this one)

iPad Mini, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 7:36 PM

Here are the troubleshooting steps from a post by fellow Support Community member sberman:

Error 2, 4 (or -4), 6, 1000, 9006

1. Follow Troubleshooting security software. Often, uninstalling third-party security software will resolve these errors.
  2. There may be third-party software that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause these errors. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance or follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  3. Verify that access to ports 80 and 443 are allowed on your network.
  4. Verify that communication to albert.apple.com or phobos.apple.com is not blocked by a firewall, or other Internet security setting.
  5. Discard the .ipsw file, open iTunes and attempt to download the update again. See the steps underAdvanced Steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) below for file locations.
  6. Restore your device while connected to a different network.
  7. Restore using a different computer.

The article with the error codes is:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2015 7:36 PM in response to handweaver62

Here are the troubleshooting steps from a post by fellow Support Community member sberman:

Error 2, 4 (or -4), 6, 1000, 9006

1. Follow Troubleshooting security software. Often, uninstalling third-party security software will resolve these errors.
  2. There may be third-party software that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting a TcpWindowSize entry into your registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause these errors. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet size modification for assistance or follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  3. Verify that access to ports 80 and 443 are allowed on your network.
  4. Verify that communication to albert.apple.com or phobos.apple.com is not blocked by a firewall, or other Internet security setting.
  5. Discard the .ipsw file, open iTunes and attempt to download the update again. See the steps underAdvanced Steps > Rename, move, or delete the iOS software file (.ipsw) below for file locations.
  6. Restore your device while connected to a different network.
  7. Restore using a different computer.

The article with the error codes is:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

update to iOS 8.3 download only and download and update take extremely long time and i get fatal errors during download. some times errors are late in the process and sometimes early

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.