Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to access a Numbers file that I have maintained for 3 years without incident I suddenly get the message "the index.xml file is missing". What causes this and how can I retrieve the file? My back up hard drive gives me the same message.

When I try to access a Numbers file that I have maintained without incident for 3 years I now suddenly get the message "the index.xml file is missing". Beyond upgrading to Yosemite 10.10.3 and the latest Numbers upgrade I have changed nothing and I get the same message when I try to call the file up from my hard drive back up. What causes this change and how can I retrieve this file?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 8:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 8:27 AM

I suggest restoring a slightly older version of the file from a TimeMachine backup, or retrieving from email or other removable media. Also try looking in the file menu to see if there is a previous version you can revert to-- this may not be available if you cannot open the file.

Finally, use the Finder menu item "Go > Go To Folder..." and enter the path:

/Users/<username>/Library/Autosave Information/

where <username> is your login name. Look through this folder to see if there is a saved version of your document. If the document is in there,

MAKE A COPY of the file and paste it on the Desktop.

try to open the copy on the desktop. If it opens ok, then save the document to the folder where you keep the document.

IF you do not have a back up of the file I not sure there is a way to help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2015 8:27 AM in response to deborah122

I suggest restoring a slightly older version of the file from a TimeMachine backup, or retrieving from email or other removable media. Also try looking in the file menu to see if there is a previous version you can revert to-- this may not be available if you cannot open the file.

Finally, use the Finder menu item "Go > Go To Folder..." and enter the path:

/Users/<username>/Library/Autosave Information/

where <username> is your login name. Look through this folder to see if there is a saved version of your document. If the document is in there,

MAKE A COPY of the file and paste it on the Desktop.

try to open the copy on the desktop. If it opens ok, then save the document to the folder where you keep the document.

IF you do not have a back up of the file I not sure there is a way to help.

Jun 8, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Dear Wayne

Your guidance was the key in retrieving the missing Numbers file today. I searched back into the Time Machine and found the file as I left it a day prior to the problem occurring. I cannot thank you enough and it probably is why I will alway stay with Apple products - this helpful Apple community has been a great source of support during the 6 years that I've owned my iMac. Btw, this Time Machine, is it an internal back up file? Thanks again.

leftyinCH

When I try to access a Numbers file that I have maintained for 3 years without incident I suddenly get the message "the index.xml file is missing". What causes this and how can I retrieve the file? My back up hard drive gives me the same message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.