Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15in Aluminum PowerBook G4 PRAM battery replacement?

I recently traded a bunch of Apple junk for a PowerBook G4. I am aware of all the PowerPC limitations and blah, I've been in the PPC scene a few years now. I got this PowerBook in top condition, it looks like its been in the box since 2005. But of corse, things do age and the hard drive and PRAM battery need to be replaced. The hard drive does still work and isn't failing but it is slow and I do plan on using this a lot.

Now for the main thing, the PRAM battery. I need to replace it but do not know the exact steps or what to look for. Every time I try to search for this it only shows for the Titanium G4 or the 12in PowerBook G4. Again, I have a 15 inch 1.67GHz 2005 PowerBook G4. If anyone could give me the steps and or link a video and the correct battery I'd have to buy, it'd be greatly appreciated.

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 15in G4 1.67GHz CPU

Posted on Jun 7, 2015 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 3:08 AM

If yours is an Early model 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4, the PRAM battery would be

the same for the 1.5GHz build as the 1.67GHz. However the later 15-inch 1.67GHz does

not appear to have a listing, and I cannot tell from reading old obsolete info (found online)

if that means the same battery would still have been correct, or needs other part number.

An ebay search came up with a battery, however most if not all, are considered to be Used.

•Apple Powerbook Battery - G4 Aluminum 15" PRAM - 922-6007, 820-1813-A 1072

So, to also correctly identify the 15-inch PowerBook G4 1.67GHz model may be necessary.

The battery or part numbers in the blue link to ebay above, if correct to your early or late 15"

model, could be used to search elsewhere, to inquire of repair service providers for vintage mac.

There are sources such as powerbookmedic's online lookup by serial number, and from it

you could see if they show any parts, in addition to the build model & date of manufacture.

•Mac Serial Number info - Lookup your Apple Serial Number:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

To find a source for the correct PRAM battery, one that is new, may take on some dimensions.

Another place to check would be an authorized service provider who restores older Macs. Since

obsolete and vintage are not supported in most instances, especially PowerPC G4 computers,

you could check with wegenermedia.com site and call to ask them, after identifying the model.

The OWC macsales.com site had a cell for the 17-inch Aluminum G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz

but no listing for the smaller display model. The OWC company offers SSD for older Macs

and those specific to replace ATA/IDE, they have a series of Mercury Legacy SSD that do

look promising & not very expensive... may require setup via Firewire enclosure or maybe

the universal USB drive kit, such as the same company sells to access bare hard drives.

An SSD upgrade option for vintage PPC G4 PowerBook ATA/IDE 2.5-inch drive option:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

Among these online iFixit repair guides for the Aluminum PowerBook G4, here's those for 15-inch:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_15%22

Hopefully you can narrow the search if you can identify yours as either an early or later 15-inch;

as I don't have enough information to check the few databases online I know of, including the

everymac.com, mactracker.ca, and others. And maybe someone will have a new PRAM battery.

The main battery may also be difficult to locate, but some companies do rebuild those cellpacks.

Anyway, the time here is nearly 2AM so I'm going offline.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2015 3:08 AM in response to TylerForum97

If yours is an Early model 15-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4, the PRAM battery would be

the same for the 1.5GHz build as the 1.67GHz. However the later 15-inch 1.67GHz does

not appear to have a listing, and I cannot tell from reading old obsolete info (found online)

if that means the same battery would still have been correct, or needs other part number.

An ebay search came up with a battery, however most if not all, are considered to be Used.

•Apple Powerbook Battery - G4 Aluminum 15" PRAM - 922-6007, 820-1813-A 1072

So, to also correctly identify the 15-inch PowerBook G4 1.67GHz model may be necessary.

The battery or part numbers in the blue link to ebay above, if correct to your early or late 15"

model, could be used to search elsewhere, to inquire of repair service providers for vintage mac.

There are sources such as powerbookmedic's online lookup by serial number, and from it

you could see if they show any parts, in addition to the build model & date of manufacture.

•Mac Serial Number info - Lookup your Apple Serial Number:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

To find a source for the correct PRAM battery, one that is new, may take on some dimensions.

Another place to check would be an authorized service provider who restores older Macs. Since

obsolete and vintage are not supported in most instances, especially PowerPC G4 computers,

you could check with wegenermedia.com site and call to ask them, after identifying the model.

The OWC macsales.com site had a cell for the 17-inch Aluminum G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz

but no listing for the smaller display model. The OWC company offers SSD for older Macs

and those specific to replace ATA/IDE, they have a series of Mercury Legacy SSD that do

look promising & not very expensive... may require setup via Firewire enclosure or maybe

the universal USB drive kit, such as the same company sells to access bare hard drives.

An SSD upgrade option for vintage PPC G4 PowerBook ATA/IDE 2.5-inch drive option:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Legacy_Pro

Among these online iFixit repair guides for the Aluminum PowerBook G4, here's those for 15-inch:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook_G4_Aluminum_15%22

Hopefully you can narrow the search if you can identify yours as either an early or later 15-inch;

as I don't have enough information to check the few databases online I know of, including the

everymac.com, mactracker.ca, and others. And maybe someone will have a new PRAM battery.

The main battery may also be difficult to locate, but some companies do rebuild those cellpacks.

Anyway, the time here is nearly 2AM so I'm going offline.

Jun 8, 2015 7:12 AM in response to TylerForum97

Like K, I have had poor luck finding PB backup batteries. All I can find are used and, to me, a used battery is like used chewing gum--not much life in it. Even were you to get a battery, replacing it is not a trivial matter. It takes a fair amount of disassembly to do so.

My 17-inch 1gHz PB also has a dead backup battery and the only real issue I've had is in starting the computer when the main battery is exhausted. Even attached to wall power, the computer will not start until the main battery gets a little charge. The main battery was an original Apple replacement and the computer showed the same behavior with both the original main battery and the new one.

I decided not to stress over it. A drained-battery restart only takes about 2-5 minutes for the main to get enough juice to start the computer so the lack of a decent PRAM batt has been relegated--at least in my mind--to the bin of minor annoyances.

Jun 11, 2015 8:55 AM in response to K Shaffer

The model number on the bottom of the PowerBook is A1106, so using Mac Tracker I'm assuming it's an early 2005 model. Thanks for the all the help though. Hopefully it won't be this complicated to replace my PowerMac G5's battery when it goes out (still rocking the original from 2004). I'm leaving for vacation in two days and when I get back I'm going to get the proper tools to take it apart and check for a part number on the battery.

Jun 11, 2015 11:03 AM in response to TylerForum97

There is a related topic post in an iFixit guide section about these models and an apparent

confusion when some users opened them, expecting one kind of battery, & finding another.

Depending on the actual computer model (and battery, which will vary in number & shape)

there are two listed guides on how to remove the battery, for each computer, in this page.

Note the 'chosen solution' in the iFixit answers page has links to both their PRAM guides,

for one is more difficult than the other, depending on your build model year of this PB 15".

• "Pram battery dead, main battery not charging..." - PoweBook G4 Aluminum 15" 1.5-1.67 GHz - iFixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/72062/PRAM+battery+dead,+battery+not+chargin g,+why+does+it+show+charge

Earlier model, 15-inch 1.5-1.67GHz::

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+15-Inch+1.5-1.67+GHz+PRAM+Bat tery+Replacement/342

Later model, 15-inch 1.67GHz:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PowerBook+G4+Aluminum+15-Inch+1.67+GHz+PRAM+Battery +Replacement/635

So, the product may suggest you get a different shape battery, but when opened, some

found they were sold a battery that would not fit, based on the general information...

A similar search of topic with the other model number, by use of part numbers in prior-post's

active link, will show some different information as it relates to the Model number.

There is a number A1106 and another A1138, both are different; some users found one

battery installed when they expected the other. This may be due to mis-identification of

the computer build model series and sales order number. PowerBookmedic lookup is a

way to tell by serial number of your model, the processor and build date. Then see the

MacTracker info to isolate the build-date into Early or Mid/Late series as listed there.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=powerbook+g4+aluminum+A1106+pram+battery

Anyway, I'd hoped for you to be able to identify the unit, and acquire the proper part, prior

to disassembly; a fringe build may have a different than expected model, if incorrectly

identified as one. Or they may have had a product over-run back in the year it was built.

In any event, have fun...

Aug 21, 2015 12:21 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks guys - great thread - this has helped me loads.

I have the Powerbook G4 15" - model number A1138.

Recently it only starts up when connected to the mains via the power adapter and it will not charge the battery at all. Using Istats Pro the main battery checks out as 100% healthy but with 0 cycles . System Profiler gives the main battery a health rating of Good but a cycle count of 0. The main battery was replaced in an apple store over 5 years ago but had not reached 200 cycles last I looked. So I'm assuming the main battery is ok and the problem lies elsewhere.

When the computer is disconnected from the mains power for a length of time when switched off, upon restart the date and time have to be re-set. Once when I put the lid down and the computer went to sleep - when I lifted it again it went into a cycle of re-start repeats so I ended up pressing the power button until it shut down. After that it started up normally.

All of this suggested to me the PRAM or PMU needed to be re-set so I did all of that a few times and nothing - it still will not see the main battery to charge it and now I keep it plugged into the mains constantly to avoid the date re-set thing.

Does all this sound like a dead back-up battery to you guys?

Thanks to this thread I've got all the information I need to take apart the computer and replace the PRAM battery - I just need to find out where I can buy one new (in the UK) I can see others have had difficulty locating new ones - If anyone has a lead on this I'd be most grateful

many thanks

B

Aug 23, 2015 2:46 AM in response to SpottyFox

The backup battery aka PRAM battery may be at fault, due to age and symptoms

however there is also a chance the DC-in Board may have a defect that allows only

one section of power to be routed to the machine, and perhaps little or none to battery.

The DC-in Board is somewhat a tech repair; you can isolate the information on the

part and procedure to replace it. Like the backup PRAM battery these do wear out

and a replacement is usually required. However the power-in board is likely to still

be available, and should be a new part, not some repaired or used component.

The iFixit repair guides show these kinds of parts, so be sure to check their guides &

get the correct one for proper point of reference; that may help troubleshoot & repair.

Users have been able to replace some of these items, so the guide should give you

an idea or two on this aspect.

Aug 23, 2015 11:22 AM in response to K Shaffer

Howdy K

As you likely remember, last year we worked rather diligently on my Pismo's Battery issue.

Executive Summary

• Battery drained to 0% = dead in seconds
  • It did charge at a 'trickle' for MANY days to ±99%
  • We talked about many ideas - including the battery being a dead marine
  • Battery crashed again
  • Now does not charge at all
    • at Startup, Battery Indicator in MenuBar shows "no battery detected" icon
    • remove > reinsert detects
    • XBattery (you remember the tool?) shows battery detected, charging = NO
  • We talked also of the DC-In board

This is part that was replaced in 2010 - it being damaged by my teen son's abuse

• Pismo still runs fine on AC Power

The previous poster here - with which you are currently conversing - mentioned " iStat Pro " (very old) test of his battery

Using Istats Pro the main battery checks out as 100% healthy but with 0 cycles

iStat Pro = not available that I can find - nor is iStat Menu version for Tiger (I am VERY reluctant to even attempt most 'download' sites - not worth risking)

Do you know of a "Safe Source" for either of these? OldApps.com search = no results

Que tengan un buen Domingo

ÇÇÇ

Aug 24, 2015 2:41 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

While I've saved a few archives of earlier software versions since I've still in

possession of several older hardware/software Apple Mac configurations, I

have not seen much in the way of 'safe' sources for these items.

Ones that clearly(?) have nobody offering them cannot be considered safe

to legally share (as in an email attachment) due to residual intellectual rights

of the first parties involved. Though some do say you can share them, if not

altered, reverse engineered, or otherwise misrepresented, or sold. If I were

using my older Mac, or had one of my old storage backup FW enclosures

attached to my newest Mac (avoid that, the new OS will try to change the file

order and then the older OS will have a very slow time, reading it anew) I

could look into the exact zip or dmg files, to see if they are small enough to

provide to a friend directly. I have clones of complete systems, and some

other old application installers on DVD media. My iMacs with SuperDrives

have mostly all failed; one of them stopped read/writing DVD media, so I

have not archived any images on disc as part of a multiple backup idea.

DVD and flash USB cards are OK methods to hand-off known good old apps

whose authors have allowed such non-commercial unaltered sharing, and

between real people, the odds of any adware or malware is near pure zero.

I had posted a link in a different area, about a year or maybe two ago, for

the iStat Pro, and tested that link's download file against a known good

local copy I had, and they were identical. I also opened and ran the file so

at that time, the link I posted (may have been to watercooler? or other ASC)

had been tested OK by me, and the product worked in later OS X than the

last known supported version. Some parts of iStat Pro no longer report in

instances of a difference in sensors, drivers, or underlying code change.

Not sure if I could search the items I've replied to within the new rendition

of these discussions, and find anything - anymore. Older items? Not hardly.

The item most likely to be the correct source I tried & tested, may be this

one (link to .zip is hidden, but seems active now) however the results may

be tainted if someone has altered the content or uploaded something else:

Requirements v 4.92

Mac OS X 10.4 or later

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20364/istat-pro
*Previously available here
or un-hidden:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bjango/files/istatpro/istat_pro_4.92.zip

Happened across your post indirectly since I do not keep notifications on for

most items; I only see an email notice if there is an issue (apple) or if there is

some kind of helpful award or point value given. So I don't get email mostly

from the recent years of my support community experience, & little else...! 🙂

Aug 24, 2015 3:57 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Here's a third try, to add information (as other things came up and timed out

my post edit options) about this iStat Pro v. 4.92. There still is a working mirror

at the site indicated here, for the this widget...

I went over to my G4 Mini & found links active site, that tested OK last year.

Also I'd posted this info in ASC thread, regarding temp monitor, in PPC:

what is the best imac temperature monitor program

"...A link I found in August 2014 that appears to have provided me a

clean iStat Pro v. 4.92 download (1MB zip) still works at this Mirror...

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/istat_pro,1.html

{Test the size of the file, what downloads and opens, to be sure that's all it is.}..."

The download size is identical, so I will open the file (in old PPC Mac) to test

the premise again, in the old G4 in Leopard 10.5.8 to limit chance encounters

with unknown but unlikely adware ghosts. (There is a patch to make iStat Pro

run in Mt. Lion 10.8.5; I did not save the link to that info, from recent search.)

Anyway, the majorgeeks Mirror will automatically open & download to get the .zip.

So be advised to use it with the older Mac, in case other D/L items arrive also.

Good luck in any event! 🙂

{PS: Could someone ask the Hosts to remove my other two recent posts, above.}

Aug 24, 2015 8:42 AM in response to K Shaffer

Buenos dias, K

Thanks to BDAqua, the iStat Pro "Dashboard Widget" search is over. It shows the same results as System Info + XBattery 1.0.1 with the added feature of "Battery Health" = 100%

An analysis of 'perfectly healthy' is not describing accurately the obvious illness the battery/charging system is experiencing.

- unless -

I am now thinking towards the two internal components that - in concert - provide a power source to the battery charge - DC-in board (new replacement 2010) and the "Power Card" (under the trackpad, sending power tot he battery bay connectors)

* BDAqua has emailed a ZIP of AHT .dmg for my model - thanks BD!

Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for you kind attention, amigo

ÇÇÇ

Aug 25, 2015 2:45 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

The recent re-post of a mirror download works, & did not seem to add anything bad

to the older Mac OS X, in the computers I have that could run it. Since the iStat Pro

widget can run in as late an OS X as Snow Leopard 10.6.8, it has an audience, even

though it has no more support or authorship ability to sustain its existence. There's (3)

mirror download site links for iStat Pro 4.92 from majorgeeks site, all appear to work.

From http://mac.majorgeeks.com/files/details/istat_pro.html -- for direct download mirrors.

Mouse-over to see each direct-download URL below for zip files. Any of these

seem to work from North America. I chose the same URL for all of my tests, #1.

User uploaded file Download@MajorGeeks #1

User uploaded file Download@MajorGeeks #2

User uploaded file Internode - |Australia| #3

While in any uncharted or territory that may have quicksand, riptide, or other hidden

hull-ripping reefs, be wary of clicking on just any 'download' even within a site that

actually has a good link to get an item you think you want. Majorgeeks is one of those

who allows ad generated links to be placed within the area one may seek to find the

correct download button. Think again. Yet my tests gained me several clean samples.

Glad to hear BDAqua has addressed your issue, even though apparent thread jack

occurred in the process. And good luck on continuing the hardware/software issue

search to resolve the problem in your G3 portable, & etc..

Sorry to have imposed this reply to any/all other affected parties. LOL

PS: the supplied links above - have no warranty - expressed or implied. 😝

Sep 1, 2015 10:35 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for your original reply RE: my Powerbook G4 PRAM battery problem.

Just an addition - the other day I noticed the ring light on the power adapter had changed from green to orange so I wondered if the computer had sorted itself out.

I turned it on to find the battery was reading as 99% charged and its status was 'finishing charge'.

When I had a look in System Profiler it had a cycle count of 5911!

It also had 5911 for every other reading to do with the battery, such as charge remaining and voltage etc. - something clearly wrong there.

It never did finish charging.

I turned it on today and the computer wouldn't enter the start-up process - just kept making a hard drive spinning sound with a balck screen.

rather strangely - I tried to start it up in open firmware to re-set the NV RAM and the computer started up normally...

So returning to your original reply - as I can't 'test' either the PRAM Battery or DC in board - which should I replace first? Presumably the battery is cheaper - if one is available?

I haven't haven't had a look in the UK for a new PRAM battery but I'm guessing they're hard to find if not impossible.

B

Sep 4, 2015 5:24 PM in response to SpottyFox

The process of elimination may require studying the repair aspects to see which

is more difficult and of them, what may be most beneficial. As an occasional DIY

fixit person, I sometimes venture into places I've wished I'd not. Usually before I

can complete an arduous task, someone interrupts me for hours on end.

The repair guide for your G4 PowerBook model may yield a few clues, in that

in some instances the PRAM battery may be disconnected or removed, if new

one cannot be located. But not in all models; and better for desktop situations

where the computer remains plugged into the mains power, and also has a

backup battery such as a desktop computer may use to condition AC power.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/PowerBook

The odd system profile report where power and battery, among others, all show

the same numbers is a bizarre situation. The reset of PRAM-NVRAM was best

guess, in that situation. Of course a PMU reset may also help since power and

management relate to that one. Link to read about Power Management Unit:

• Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU) - Apple Support

A problem with second guessing what parts may need replacement, may lead to

an extreme; to find a shop that repairs and tests older Apple portable hardware is

a better method if possible, but even they may be wrong. And the issue could be

a logic board; so the less costly DC-in Board &/or PRAM battery are DIY firsts.

Not sure if you can find a suitable PRAM battery replacement, or any other one of

equal power that may work in place of original replacement quality.

Sorry to not be of much help in this matter; and I just happened across your post

while browsing ASC discussions. I do not have email notifications enabled here.

Hopefully you can find some lucky dice to roll, that know what to do next! 😝

15in Aluminum PowerBook G4 PRAM battery replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.