Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to activate a IPhone 3G with itunes 12?

HI everyone i was wondering how i can activate a iphone 3G with itunes 12. I have friends coming to the U.S and i told them i would lend them a phone. I have a old iphone 3G unlocked but its stuck on the connect to itunes screen. When i connected to itunes 12 it didn't recognise it i assume because it's so old but is there a way to still activate it? Thanks!

iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 8:42 AM

It should still connect. Sounds like the device is in Recovery Mode, if you are seeing the connect to iTunes screen. See this support document for help there, you may need to do something with your iTunes. If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies

Jun 8, 2015 8:46 AM in response to NMcKayEpp

NMcKayEpp wrote:

HI everyone i was wondering how i can activate a iphone 3G with itunes 12. I have friends coming to the U.S and i told them i would lend them a phone. I have a old iphone 3G unlocked but its stuck on the connect to itunes screen. When i connected to itunes 12 it didn't recognise it i assume because it's so old but is there a way to still activate it? Thanks!

Since that phone was never sold by Apple as "unlocked", how, exactly, did it get unlocked? If it was unlocked by anyone other than the original carrier, it was hacked, which explains why it won't activate now.

How to activate a IPhone 3G with itunes 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.