Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Internal Speakers

The internal speakers of my Macbook Pro 13.3 inch are not working properly. The Apple store has suggested me to replace the left speaker. The total cost of replacement of one speaker is Rs. 9000/- including the diagonistics charges of Rs. 2500/- .

Please advice me whether to change the left speaker or use an external speaker.

I would also like to know whether non replacement of damaged speaker would affect any other parts/internal applications.

The cost of 1 speaker on 3rd party websites is between Rs. 600 to Rs. 1000.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 9:32 AM

Before replacing the left side speaker, try this.

1. Reset SMC.

Choose the method for “On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

2. Reset PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761

3. System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers

Settings for the selected device:

Balance:

Make sure that the slider is set at middle.

4. AudioMIDI Setup

Applications/Utilities/ Audio MIDI Setup.app

Audio Devices window

Side Bar

Click the Built-in Output.

Make sure that CH1 and CH2 volume sliders are matched.

ashwin09 wrote:

I would also like to know whether non replacement of damaged speaker would affect any other parts/internal applications.

Hard to say.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2015 9:32 AM in response to ashwin09

Before replacing the left side speaker, try this.

1. Reset SMC.

Choose the method for “On Mac notebooks with non-removable battery”.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

2. Reset PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761

3. System Preferences > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers

Settings for the selected device:

Balance:

Make sure that the slider is set at middle.

4. AudioMIDI Setup

Applications/Utilities/ Audio MIDI Setup.app

Audio Devices window

Side Bar

Click the Built-in Output.

Make sure that CH1 and CH2 volume sliders are matched.

ashwin09 wrote:

Hard to say.

Oct 4, 2015 6:45 PM in response to ashwin09

I have been experiencing issues with the left speakers on my MacBook Pro (13inch late 2013 model). Not sure what happened. It sounds blown so I had to switch the balance to use my right speakers. That solved the issue as a workaround solution, but doesn't address the fundamental problem. Just wondering if any other owners of the late 2013 model experiencing the same problem. That's quite a disappointment for having used it for less than 2 years.

Aug 5, 2016 10:14 PM in response to Suspended4th

I have the same problem too! This is very frustrating. Now that I know I am not the only one experiencing this, I can infer that the MacBook Pro speakers don't last. I have been using it for less than 2 years. 2 months ago, my left speaker started having distortion when I watch videos and listen to music. Then, I tried resetting PRAM and SMC but nothing changed. After that, I resolved to switching my output speaker balance slightly to the right to reduce distortion so that the output sound is audible. Today, both speakers – left and right – are gone for good. I don't know what to do except reading a solution on replacing the MBP speakers on iFixit website.

Well, hardware failures now affect consumers even though they pay so much for a high quality device. I have taken care my MBP for almost 2 years without any problems with other hardwares except the speakers. Now, the only solution is to use headphones or earphones. This definitely blow away the elegance, premium feel and sole purpose of using a MacBook Pro – being minimalistic.

Macbook Pro Internal Speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.