Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies pause during playback on iPad

Test 1:

Using iTunes 12.1.2.27 on Windows 7 PC

Authorized iTunes with customer's Apple ID

Loaded customer content via USB to my computers iTunes library

50 Shades of Grey HD

American Sniper HD

Enabled Home Sharing on my PC and on my iPad 2 (IOS 8.1.3)

Using Linksys E1200 router

Results:

American Sniper HD - PASS - played the entire movie with no pausing after initial queueing

50 Shades of Grey HD - FAIL - started pausing around one minute into movie and every few seconds after that. I performed some fast forward scrubbing to around the 25 min mark and from there the movie played for about 7 min till pausing again. Ended test.

----------------------------------

Test 2:

I ran an additional test with a much faster connection, an AirPort Extreme router, a Mackbook Air (about a year old machine) and the movie Blackhat. The streaming fails over wifi. OK if the file is played from MacBook.

We were able to bring up some router screens that show the traffic running at about 1.35 - 4.5 MBits. The video stops streaming when the data rate drops to almost nothing, and you can see that in the streaming graph. I guess we need to investigate if the iPad stops requesting or the iPad stops downloading when this problem occurs.

At the beginning of the movie, you can see the data traffic start and once a certain amount of data is transferred to the iPad, the movie starts to play. Eventually the movie ran out of buffered data and it starts to hesitate.

-------------------------------------

Conclusion:

We did the above test on multiple iPads (roughly 10) with multiple types of routers N & AC. Internet connection was 100mb in all locations of testing (Tustin, CA and NY area).

Some movies play perfectly. Being either SD or HD; This does not seem to have any effect. Other movies pause a few minutes into each movie and repeatedly thereafter.

iPad, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 10:19 AM

1 reply

Movies pause during playback on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.