Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop is missing

I have 10.6.8 My son recently downloaded a game off the internet. Things started running really slow and when we rebooted, my desktop is missing. There are no folders or icons on the screen and no shortcuts at the bottom. IPhoto comes up automatically, and if X out of it, I lose all the drop down menus at the top. If I go into the drop down menus for IPhoto I can access system preferences and a few other things, but I cannot access Finder or other applications. I can get into most programs through the recently used option, but have no idea how to get my desktop, icons and drop down menus back to normal. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 4:14 PM

5 replies

Jun 9, 2015 10:23 AM in response to mayopa

I'm assuming the new user is an administrator.

Logged in as the new user, launch up Utilities > Terminal.app, and then enter a version of these terminal commands (you'll have to substitute in actual usernames for olduser and newuser):

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Desktop/* /Users/newuser/Desktop/

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Documents/* /Users/newuser/Documents/

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Downloads/* /Users/newuser/Downloads/

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Movies/* /Users/newuser/Movies/

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Music/* /Users/newuser/Music/

sudo mv /Users/olduser/Pictures/* /Users/newuser/Pictures/

The reason we're moving individual folders instead of just the entire user folder is there is clearly something corrupt in your old user's configuration, so what to move only the files and not the settings... otherwise, the new user will be messed up as well.

Then, change ownership of those files to the new user

sudo chown -R newuser /Users/newuser

Desktop is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.