Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After 'reset' of iPod 5G Touch, only white apple logo shows on screen, can't get back inside iPod now!?

I had apps crashing all the time, usually within a minute of app opening. So after the usual reboot method, this did nothing to solve the apps from crashing.

So I followed the steps (read about from other similar 'app crashing' discussions) to try reseting my iPod Touch 5G by going into "settings-general-reset-reset all settings" Now all I get is a black screen with the white apple logo. It stays on for hours, unless I force the power off by holding the top power button for 15+ seconds until the apple logo turns off. Sometimes I get also a soft white line below the apple logo icon.

Now it seems NOTHING works after trying this reset??

I tried hooking the iPod up to iTunes on my laptop, and trying to backup my iPod to my computer does nothing, tried updating from iOS 7.1.2 to the newest iOS 8.3 and still nothing works?? (Note: My previous laptop crashed which had my backup from this iPod, so now this laptop I am using now, never had any previous backup of my iPod). That may be the issue?

It shows on iTunes (iPod) page that my memory used still shows what I had before I did this reset, so I take it, all my photo/video data is still 'okay' if I could only get the slider and 4 digit code to once again show up to let me back in. But I just get the apple logo which stays on until I force the power button for 15+ seconds to turn it off.

Any ideas how to fix this now that it looks dire as nothing seems to work??? I hope I can still get this iPod to work without wiping out all my data if i have to restore the iPod as if brand new.

Thanks in advance for any ideas to try!!!

iPod touch, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jun 8, 2015 10:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 1:19 AM

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try another cable

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2015 1:19 AM in response to MArk 4my Apple

Try:

- iOS: Not responding or does not turn on

- Also try DFU mode after try recovery mode

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- If not successful and you can't fully turn the iOS device fully off, let the battery fully drain. After charging for an least an hour try the above again.

- Try another cable

- Try on another computer

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jun 10, 2015 8:56 AM in response to MArk 4my Apple

I tried loading latest iTunes software on my laptop, then hooked up iPod to laptop, tried "Update" and after 15 mins. or so, got a message "The iPod "iPod" could not be updated. The device cannot be found". I then made sure my laptop was authorized which it now is. So next, I tried "Back Up Now" and the iPod looked to backing up to laptop, then another message came up "The iPod "Mark's iPod touch" could not be synced because the connection to the iPod was reset".

Then I tried updating to iOS 8.3 from iOS 7.1.2 and after what looked like it finished loading, another message came up "iTunes could not back up the iPod "Mark's iPod touch" because the iPod disconnected".

Next, I let the battery discharge completely, then recharged full. Nothing still, only Apple white logo on black screen. I do get a soft white bar line under the apple logo which sometimes turns whiter as it moves across this line towards the right, but once the line becomes bright white, nothing happens and it goes back to just the apple logo.

(I tried to get my iPod into the DFU mode, but never could get it to do anything. I noticed that the iTunes icon was blue before and now it's red, whatever that means on the screen?)

After another iTunes update on laptop (just to have latest version), I hooked iPod up to it again, and got another message this time "iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch. An unknown error occurred (0xE800001C).

So I am at a lost here. Bottom line, I should NOT of 'Reset' my iPod, which now has me at a lost of everything on my iPod since I can't get back in.

I guess I only have one last option, to "erase all content and settings" which will make the iPod like new again, but I will lose all my photos and videos.

BUMMER!!!

P.S. - I won't do that yet s maybe there is still a way to fix my iPod.

Curious, by "reset all settings" on iPod, I thought t said it wouldn't erase my data and pictures but if I can't get back into my iPod, it basically does erase if I have to now "erase all content and settings" to maybe get my iPod back running again 'like new'.

Jun 10, 2015 10:37 AM in response to lllaass

My iPod was just on charge (not plugged into iTunes) and all of a sudden a pure white screen showed up!! with words saying "Update Completed - Your iPod touch was updated successfully. There are just a few more steps to follow, and then you're done! - Continue" so I tapped the blue lettered Continue on screen and the next page that showed up was entering my Password for my Wi-Fi router (it listed my actual Belkin router with model type), so I entered my password. The third page came up about choosing to enable or not for knowing my location for apps. I choose the 'enable' button after this, then the screen went black again with the apple logo and white line under it.

Here I thought was a miracle happening before my eyes and senses, but it was (very) short lived!! For a few brief moments, I thought I was going to have a working iPod, but I guess I have to wait for another miracle, and they usually don't come around twice in one day.

---------------------

Yes, I had to buy a new lightning cable in the past as it wasn't powering up the iPod when it needed charging. But I think this new cable is working okay(??)

Also, I want to thank you Illaass for helping me out, you always try to come to the rescue and I appreciate your advice and help.

Jun 12, 2015 7:23 AM in response to MArk 4my Apple

I still can't seem to get my iPod Touch 5G to work beyond the white apple logo. My question I guess, is it time to 'restore' the iPod to being like brand new and assume now that all my data (pictures and videos will just be erased) since I can't get back into my iPod???

I could swear it said that when I 'reset the settings' it said on the screen that this would not lose my data (pictures & video), yet since the iPod now won't let me back inside (beyond the apple logo), it essentially has done just that!

Lesson learned here is to back up all you data (pictures & videos) on iTunes before the 'reset the settings'. (Note: I did have a backup but on a laptop that crashed and no longer works, so essentially, I had no backup using another laptop which I didn't backup the iPod first.

I wish in hindsight, I would of researched much more before resetting my iPod. I should of first made sure I had a backup on whatever laptop I was using, then if I had this problem above, I could reinstall all my pictures and video after resetting/restoring the pod.

Any last ideas to try?

(This all started because my apps were crashing and I wanted that to stop, so I reset the settings thinking this would solve it maybe). Well it did more than that!

Jul 21, 2015 7:11 PM in response to MArk 4my Apple

Okay, still no luck getting my 5G Touch iPod working, after numerous times draining the battery, then charging to full, or trying the iTunes update to iOS 8.3, or changing lightning cables, etc. The best I have seen, is that sometimes it starts up with a pure white screen saying 'Hello' and then opening to the next page to choose to 'enable or not enable' your iPod, then the third page is back to the white apple icon and a horizontal line under it which (sometimes) gets whiter as it loads but never does anything after it completes the entire bar.

After watching a few YouTube videos, I now know that my iPod should of worked just fine after the 'reset', but not with my iPod. It stopped working altogether, wasn't expecting that at all, or I wouldn't off done it to begin with.

My final question if someone knows anything about it, is someone on YouTube telling me to try buying the 'Dr. Fone for iOS by Wondershare', which says it can get back all my photos, etc. But I think it costs around $80 (?) to buy the CD, and I never have heard of it to know if it really works?????? Any feed back I appreciate if anyone knows about this. Otherwise, I guess it's time to completely 'restore' my iPod 'like new' and lose all my photos and videos that are 'locked up' inside a non-working iPod 5G Touch.

Jul 22, 2015 12:55 PM in response to lllaass

Still actually have iOS 7.1.2, as iTunes for some reason couldn't even update the iPod to 8.3.

Have you heard anything about the CD product 'Dr. Fone for iOS by Wondershare', which I was told that this would get all my photos and videos back!(?) Without knowing much about this product and the cost is around $80 to purchase it, I don't know if it's worth it, unless I knew "~100%" it would work.

Sep 4, 2015 7:37 PM in response to MArk 4my Apple

Okay, I had decided to finally restore my iPod 5g Touch, since nothing in the above conversations has helped in making my iPod Touch 5g work again.

But, restoring doesn't even work! My last choice to bring back to factory conditions wasn't something I had ever wanted to do since I tried the 'reset' because I thought this might help when my apps would crash within minutes of opening. But I guess I have to assume that this iPod is never going to work again since RESTORE doesn't even correct it !?!?!?

Oh well, my pics are lost and that is the chance you take if you don't back them up. Lesson to be learned.

I did want to get the newer iPod 6 Touch which is a lot better and the price is better than what I played for the iPod 5 Tough. I think I will wait a few weeks when they have the iOS 9 already installed when buying it.

Thanks again for all the help that was given above in response to try to fix my iPod, but something in the software or maybe hardware decided it was done working correctly.

Sep 10, 2015 10:55 AM in response to MArk 4my Apple

WoW unbelievable!

During yesterday's event (09-09-2015) Apple put on showing their new products (new watch bands, new rose gold watch color; first introduction of a new category iPad, the 12.9 inch Pro; the new AppleTV box and 'cool' remote and app store; and two new innovated iPhones 6s and 6s(+) smartphones), I decided to recharge my iPod Touch 5G and once charged, tried to restore it while hooked into iTunes. For some reason???, this time it restored my iPod and got it back working like new and with the newest iOS 8.4.1 installed.

A true mystery after trying this like 40 times in the last three months. Maybe it was because the Apple gods were out in full force with Apple's BIG event?

Again, thanks goes out to all that gave me advice during this time, especially to Illaass who always finds time to answer back with ideas to try to resolve issues.

After 'reset' of iPod 5G Touch, only white apple logo shows on screen, can't get back inside iPod now!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.