Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whatsapp restore from iCloud stuck and constantly restarting download

Hi All

I'm currently using iPhone 6 64gb ver 8.3 and the latest version of Whatsapp (updated 9th June 2015).

I've just made the upgrade from iPhone 4s to the 6 and restored my phone from iTunes. However since that doesn't include my Whatsapp history, I'm now trying to restore that from iCloud.

It was a pain backing up through iCloud and after hours in the Apple store, the successful way was through Whatsapp itself, and not through the backup function under iCloud.

However, my Whatsapp is now continuously looping on downloading the backup file from iCloud. The file in total is 1.58 gb, but the download keeps restarting at different stages, sometimes at 102KB, sometimes at 1.28GB, and it is slow.

I have tried different WIFI's or simply using data, but the same problem occurs, I've even left it overnight to give it a bit more time but in the morning I still just see it looping. I've resetted networking settings, deleted and installed Whatsapp again, rebooted my phone a couple of times, but the same problem is still occuring.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 12:25 AM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2015 1:47 PM in response to htkkwan

I had the same issue when I tried restoring my whatsapp conversations from my old iPhone to my new one.

I tried many things like leaving the new iPhone open, deleting the iCloud history and backing my conversations again from my old phone, I even tried several wifi spots.

Eventually what solved the issue for me was to do the back up from my old phone again (I had 6.5 giga of data) and when I started downloading the backup from my new phone I kept checking the internet connection from my new phone (browsed the web and made sure the whatsapp is working in the background).

It seems like after some point the internet went down and I could not see it if I wasn't browsing. When it stopped, I closed whatsapp, waited fir it tonwork again and opened whatsapp again. It continued from the same point and finished successfuly

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.0.2

Whatsapp restore from iCloud stuck and constantly restarting download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.