Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding GPS coordinates to a photo

I have a photo taken a long time ago before GPS coordinates where invented. I know where they were taken and could drop a pin on a map if I was able to but cannot find a way to do it using Photos - is there a way?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 1:59 AM

I know where they were taken and could drop a pin on a map if I was able to but cannot find a way to do it using Photos - is there a way

Not in Photos, sorry. You will have to add the GPS tags before you import the photos to Photos.

This is not supported in Photos, sorry.

I hope, the next update will add this necessary feature.

Send feedback with a feature request: Apple - Photos - Feedback

For the time being, you have to add GPS coordinates to the photos before importing them to Photos.

You could, for example, first import to iPhoto, add the locations, batch change the titles and captions, do all the things that are not yet supported in the new Photos, then export the photos from iPhoto and import them to Photos.

Or use the free exiftool, if you like the Terminal.

See: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#geotagging_exampl es

To install exiftool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/%7Ephil/exiftool/install.html

Other convenient apps are Jetphoto Studio, Geotagalog, houdahGeo, there are many more ..

I use Jetphoto Studio, but it is not free.

If you updated iPhoto to version 9.6.1 before the update, you can still use iPhoto.

Just drag it back to the Dock from the Applications folder.

If you not yet have 9.6.1, update as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2015 1:59 AM in response to Agopio

I know where they were taken and could drop a pin on a map if I was able to but cannot find a way to do it using Photos - is there a way

Not in Photos, sorry. You will have to add the GPS tags before you import the photos to Photos.

This is not supported in Photos, sorry.

I hope, the next update will add this necessary feature.

Send feedback with a feature request: Apple - Photos - Feedback

For the time being, you have to add GPS coordinates to the photos before importing them to Photos.

You could, for example, first import to iPhoto, add the locations, batch change the titles and captions, do all the things that are not yet supported in the new Photos, then export the photos from iPhoto and import them to Photos.

Or use the free exiftool, if you like the Terminal.

See: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/exiftool_pod.html#geotagging_exampl es

To install exiftool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/%7Ephil/exiftool/install.html

Other convenient apps are Jetphoto Studio, Geotagalog, houdahGeo, there are many more ..

I use Jetphoto Studio, but it is not free.

If you updated iPhoto to version 9.6.1 before the update, you can still use iPhoto.

Just drag it back to the Dock from the Applications folder.

If you not yet have 9.6.1, update as described here:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the AppStore, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

Jun 9, 2015 3:58 AM in response to Agopio

Geotagging in Photos will be supported in the next major release of OS X (El Capitano), as announced by Apple yesterday. You will be able to set the location of individual files or all files in a Moment. In the meantime, as Leonie says, there are workarounds.

NB, yesterday's announcement also confirmed that the Photos app will allow for the provision of 3rd party editors.

Jun 9, 2015 4:25 AM in response to mandruff

mandruff wrote:

NB, yesterday's announcement also confirmed that the Photos app will allow for the provision of 3rd party editors.

Maybe not quite. According to this TidBITS article, "support for third-party editing extensions that will be available from the Mac App Store and accessible within Photos itself." This is substantially different from the way iPhoto supported third party editing applications.

I suspect this limitation has a lot to do with Apple's focus on sandboxing & security -- because Photos relies heavily on system level services & files (which is part of why the app itself is a mere 50 MB compared to iPhoto's current 1.7 GB), allowing an external editing app direct access to these things through Photos is a potential security vulnerability, what security experts call an increased "attack surface."

Jun 9, 2015 6:51 AM in response to R C-R

The Apple press release about this is here.

"In Photos, you can add locations to a single image or an entire Moment, and sort albums by date or title. Additionally, you’ll be able to download third-party editing extensions from the Mac App Store℠ and access them directly within the Photos app."

The way I read that, you'll be able to use the Photos app to directly invoke 3rd party editors using extensions that have been designed to work with Photos. It remains to be seen whether vendors such as Adobe will be providing such extensions. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Whatever, it sure would be nice to have editor controls to do something like:

[Vendor] Apply Lens Correction

[Vendor] Apply Gaussian Blur

even without diving out to an external application.

Jun 9, 2015 7:17 AM in response to mandruff

In Yosemite 10.10.3 the extension point "Photo editing" is missing. iOS8 has it already. In Yosemite 10.10.3 are only "Share" or Actions" or similar extensions available in the Photos.app. This "Photo editing" extension point will be made available in El Capitan.

That's what the App Extension Programming Guide says: "Starting in iOS 8.0 and OS X v10.10, an app extension lets you extend custom functionality and content beyond your app and make it available to users while they’re using other apps or the system."

App extensions for Photos will be called in in Photos and give users access to custom filters and editing tools directly from within the Photos app on Mac.

Jun 10, 2015 9:33 AM in response to LarryHN

In the context of this thread, not necessary. Apple have already listened and stated that photo location editing will be be coming to OS X Photos in the Fall. Likewise the ability to use 3rd party editing tools in Photos.

Users keep asking how to edit GPS in Photos. They don't need to be told to ask Apple for this to happen. It will happen in a few months' time.

Jun 10, 2015 10:06 AM in response to mandruff

1 - where exactly is that "please statement" by Apple? I have not seen it

2 - your have your opinion on answering - I have mine and I answer as of today and as of today there is not way and the best path IMHO is to keep the pressure on Apple by continuing to tell them user needs - there is an "Apple announcement" about Yosemite from some time ago that states GPS editing was going to be available last fall - so it =looks like it at best is going to be a year late - the cost of telling Apple user needs is zero so I will continue to advise it - I suspect some others will too

LN

adding GPS coordinates to a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.