Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new photos/albums not syncing from macbook to iPhone

Since "upgrading" from iPhoto to the new PHOTOS app, nothing is working right.

I have the latest operating systems.

I download new pics from a camera or iPhone to my Macbook by plugging in with USB, then creating albums of them to organize, and it deletes them from my original device (camera or iPhone).

I then go to sync my iPhone 6 with macbook and it should copy all the new pics/albums, BUT IT DOESN'T.

IT IS NOT COPYING/SYNCING NEW ALBUMS/PICTURES SINCE THE SWITCH FROM IPHOTO TO "PHOTOS"

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 12:16 AM

5 replies

Jun 9, 2015 3:34 AM in response to cwen

I then go to sync my iPhone 6 with macbook and it should copy all the new pics/albums, BUT IT DOESN'T.

IT IS NOT COPYING/SYNCING NEW ALBUMS/PICTURES SINCE THE SWITCH FROM IPHOTO TO "PHOTOS"

Are you syncing with iTunes? Or how are you syncing? Photos will sync the Photos Library with iTunes, that has been enabled as System Photos Library. Are your settings like this, when you are browsing your main Photos Library, with "Use as System Photo Library" dimmed? Then you are syncing your correct Library and iTunes should sync all selected photos to your iPhone.

User uploaded file

Jun 10, 2015 12:01 AM in response to cwen

Have you restarted your Mac to force Photos and iTunes to clear all caches?

And is the "Copy items to the Photos Library" option active as well?

Is your Photos Library in your Pictures folder or on an external drive?

Check, if you have an old iPod Photo Cache folder in your library. See this link: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Just to be sure, does the sync start and just does not transfer photos, or does iTunes not let you select any Moments and albums to sync?

If you have iCloud Photo Library enabled on your device, you cannot sync photos with iTunes any longer at all.

Jun 12, 2015 8:58 PM in response to léonie

Thank you so much for your thoughtful suggestions; I will keep them in mind if I have future problems.

After 3 visits to the apple store with attempts by many employee to fix the problem, including a number of members of the genius bar,

one smart genius bar instructor /trainer was able to fix the problem.

There were a couple of software issues, but the biggest problem was this:

Most apple employees didn't even know it, but if you make changes in PHOTOS (downloading new pics , making albums, etc..),

then leave Photos open and try to sync with iTunes, it doesn't work; it doesn't see the new pics and changes.

You have to CLOSE PHOTOS AND CLOSE ITUNES, THEN REOPEN ITUNES and sync your phone (by usb) so it can read PHOTOS changes after the photos app has been closed.

That was the main problem; easy to fix, but it took hours of genius bar and other apple people trying; I think everyone needs to learn more about the new PHOTOS app. (Personally, I wish they'd stayed with iPhoto.) I will say, the staff was all really nice and hard-working and pleasant despite the fact it was frustrating.

Also, there were some junk/faulty files (not sure of the right word) that needed to be removed by deleting all photos from the phone (leaving them on my macbook), then reinstalling them on the phone.

Everything is working fine now. (I choose not to have my pics on the cloud and not to have some documents on the cloud for privacy reasons; I like just backing up my phone and computer together.)

Jun 13, 2015 12:22 AM in response to cwen

You have to CLOSE PHOTOS AND CLOSE ITUNES, THEN REOPEN ITUNES and sync your phone (by usb) so it can read PHOTOS changes after the photos app has been closed.

That has been necessary even with iPhoto since the introduction of MacOS X 10.7 Lion. You have been extremely lucky, if you never quit both iTunes and Photos/iPhoto before you tried to sync with iTunes.

To be able to sync new photos from a photo library to iTunes two things have to happen:

1. Photos (or iPhoto) has to write the changes to the internal database file. Photos does not do this immediately. It will collect changes and write only occasionally when major updates occurred. Quitting Photos will force it to update the Photos Library. And quitting iTunes will prompt iTunes to read the updated files.
  2. Photos has to update the preferences files in the user library and the sandbox so other applications can find the changes to the Photos library when they are using the Media Browser. This preferences will be written when Photos is quitting. Since MacOS X Lion, the "Quit" command does not always suffice to make Applications really quit. Only restarting the Mac will ensure this and ensure that both iTunes and Photos quit. Otherwise the Mac may keep the processes cached for a quick resume and they will simply use the old, cached data.

I should have suggested to restart the Mac as the first recommendation.

new photos/albums not syncing from macbook to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.