Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing music to the iTunes Library

Hello

Chances are that my question has been answered already a long time ago but a search with these keywords gave a result of more than 9000 "hits". Which makes the filtering very laborious.

When I 'm importing music into the iTunes Library a copy of the original file is put into the iTunes Library. What is the reason for this?

Hans

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 4:48 AM

2 replies

Jun 9, 2015 6:17 AM in response to hanyvo

I don't know I have seen any reason for it indicated in Apple documentation. It could be since once an item has been added to iTunes the application feels at liberty store the file in its own structure and rename it, and to make changes to the file metadata, that the original programmers decided people would prefer the application did not modify the only, original copy of the file.

This link may interest you:

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832 - Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder onto the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

Jun 9, 2015 6:46 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for your time, Limnos

I think "understanding" is somewhat exorbitant because the article only describes what the program does or doesnot. But apart from that: I didn't put the files in this "automatically add to iTunes" folder. Now I have the situation that a copy of every music file is in the original place -where I deliberately put them- as well as in the iTunes Library. I can't imagine this to be usefull.

Hans

Importing music to the iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.