Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Identifying the most current iTunes Library.xml file

In my iTunes library it would appear that I have two iTunes Library .xml files and I am wondering which file is the correct one and the correct location for the iTunes xml file? My library is located on an external hard drive. Attached is an image of my path. Note that there are two iTunes Library.xml files. Which is the correct file and the correct location.

I am using Sonos at times and in order for it to import my iTunes playlist it needs to access the iTunes Library.xml file. The path I use to Sonos includes up to the iTunes Media folder. If the xml file above in the path is the correct one (with the newer date) should I delete the older xml file and move the newer to this location.

User uploaded file

iOS 8.3, MacBook Pro 2014

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 6:10 AM

The .xml is created and modified in the same folder as the other library files. The one in the Media folder is the odd one out. However, what strikes me as highly unusual is none of those library files (in particular the "iTunes Library") have modification dates more recent than 2012. It is like iTunes is not using those files at all, or that iTunes has not been used on that computer for the past 3 years. What is also unusual is your library file has no ".itl" extension. Much older iTunes versions didn't have one but I thought perhaps back with iTunes 9 or so they included the .itl. Looking at your dates there it seems to me you have the current library files somewhere else and you are have set it to use the media folder in the location in the image.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2015 6:10 AM in response to mwheelerk

The .xml is created and modified in the same folder as the other library files. The one in the Media folder is the odd one out. However, what strikes me as highly unusual is none of those library files (in particular the "iTunes Library") have modification dates more recent than 2012. It is like iTunes is not using those files at all, or that iTunes has not been used on that computer for the past 3 years. What is also unusual is your library file has no ".itl" extension. Much older iTunes versions didn't have one but I thought perhaps back with iTunes 9 or so they included the .itl. Looking at your dates there it seems to me you have the current library files somewhere else and you are have set it to use the media folder in the location in the image.

Jun 9, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Limnos

I wonder if you are not correct. I changed from using a Mac Mini to this MacBook only a month ago or so. I simply disconnected the HDD that my files are located in and then attached it to the MacBook and pointed iTunes towards that drive. That "seems" to have worked but I did notice those dates also.

Looking under my Music on the MacBook I do see files with newer dates.

User uploaded file

Jun 9, 2015 7:24 AM in response to mwheelerk

Uh-oh, I see the words "pointed to". And you probably did that in preferences? Not the way to do it. All that does is tell iTunes to start storing any new media in the location to which you "pointed". All old media and and the library files are left where they were originally. If you change computers and your library ( library = everything in the iTunes folder) is on an external drive you tell iTunes to use that library by holding down the option key while starting iTunes and selecting the iTunes Library.itl file on the external drive. Given all that I suspect when you changed computers you migrated the library files from the old computer to the new one so it apparently works now but 3 years ago you had problems with a lost library and ended up making a new one. As I said earlier it looks to me like those library files on that drive haven't been touched in 3 years but you are storing current media there. You may wish to re-unify things all on one drive.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 - making an iTunes library portable.

Jun 11, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Limnos

So from post above yours you can see that the most current iTunes XML file is located on my MacBook>Users>Music etc and that the other two XML files are located on my Volumes>Music Library> etc which is my external HDD where all my music folders/files reside. This new screen shot shows my iTunes Preferences>Advanced and shows the path to my Music Library.

I am wondering if those two XML files are from previous libraries since they are very old and have not be accessed apparently in a few years and if the XML located on my MacBook is actually the file being used by iTunes for my current library. Should that XML file be located on the external HDD?

The most current XML file is on the MacBook following Music>iTunes in the same column as the iTunes Media folder and shows a created date of 8/30/2014 and a modified/last opened date of 6/9/2015.

The two XML files located on the external HDD are Music Library>Music>iTunes in the same column as the iTunes Media folder and showing a created date of 1/9/2012 and Last Opened/Modified date of 9/30/2012. The second XML file on my external HDD is located at Music Library>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media and is located in the same column as the Music folder with a created date of 3/6/2010 and a last opened/modified dates of 3/8/2010.

If the newest dated XML located on the MacBook is actually the current one for my library on my HDD should I simply delete the other two XML files located on the external HDD and copy and paste this current on onto the HDD into the path Music Library>Music>iTunes which would place it in the same column as iTunes Media or do I need to create a new library directed to the external HDD and will that create a new XML file at the proper location on the HDD?

I sincerely appreciated any help

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jun 11, 2015 7:04 AM in response to mwheelerk

You have a split library. The active .itl file (the one that matters) is on your system drive.

If you want to make the library portable and self-contained on the external delete the following items from the iTunes folder on the external drive:

• Album Artwork
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb
  • iTunes Library.itl
  • iTunes Library.xml

Then copy the same group of items from your system drive into the iTunes folder on the external, renaming the .xml file from iTunes Music Library.xml to iTunes Library.xml if needed.

Finally option-start-iTunes and connect to the .itl file inside the iTunes folder on the external volume.

tt2

Identifying the most current iTunes Library.xml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.