Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lines developing on the iPad Mini display

Hi there,

For some reasons, there are lines developing on the right side of this image (closer to the Home button of my iPad Mini).

Can anybody share similar experience and what should i do with it? This iPad is barely about a year plus and has not had any problems to-date but suddently these Lines are appearing..

Appreciate your help please.

User uploaded file

Ipad, iphone 3gs, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 9:06 AM

Try resetting the device. You can use the instructions here under Force Restart. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that does not help, then instead of taking a photo of the iPad, use screenshot, using the sleep/wake and home buttons together for a moment to take it. Then post the screenshot. If the screenshot does not show the lines you are seeing on the screen, then the video feed is good, it is something wrong with the display. You would need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider, depending on your location, to have the hardware looked at.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2015 9:06 AM in response to adisi

Try resetting the device. You can use the instructions here under Force Restart. Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that does not help, then instead of taking a photo of the iPad, use screenshot, using the sleep/wake and home buttons together for a moment to take it. Then post the screenshot. If the screenshot does not show the lines you are seeing on the screen, then the video feed is good, it is something wrong with the display. You would need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service provider, depending on your location, to have the hardware looked at.

Jul 1, 2015 10:30 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I had gone to Authorised Apple Reseller (since in Malaysia we DO NOT have Apple Store).

They told me it is a common problem with iPad Mini especially the new ones. They offered a new unit with a price of around RM 1,200. I don't think i want to spend that much just to repair this problem.

I think the warranty period of 1 year means that we can expect more shoddy products coming out especially if you plan to keep your Apple products beyond 1 year period. In this case, i have to pay more to just retain this Apple iPad Mini.

I hope Apple considers giving longer warranty given the price we're paying for such a premium product.

Jul 1, 2015 1:57 PM in response to adisi

Most manufacturers provide 1-year limited warranty on electronic items. While your reseller may tell you this is a common problem, I've not read that in the time I spend here on the forum. I've retained all of my Apple devices past 1-year and not experienced any increase in issues based on the warranty. I don't think you will see an increase in the warranty period, but you can provide feedback to Apple at their feedback link HERE.

Sep 18, 2015 9:49 PM in response to adisi

HI there, well, as you can see i have the same problem. The lines appeared suddenly and wouldn't go away after reset, restart, battery drain, etc. I noticed the lines are affected by the cover magnets somehow, but for worst. The number of lines comes and goes. Initially there were 1-2 lines now it is a strip and growing in width. Apple Support said - bring it in the store. That's all.

Please let me know if they replaced yours. If so, did they replace with a new or refurbished one?

User uploaded file

Sep 19, 2015 7:08 AM in response to chv

If you read the OP's post, he stated they offered a replacement, but that was an Authorized Reseller, and they were going to charge. If you take it to the Apple Store as you were told, they will examine the device and make a determination. If the device is defective and in warranty, they will probably replace it. If it is no longer in warranty, you can purchase an out of warranty replacement for a significant discount. No matter which, replacement devices are normally refurbished devices.

Lines developing on the iPad Mini display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.