Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

***Time Capsule: No Ethernet Jack, Must Connect Via WiFi - Desperately Need Help ASAP, Please!!***

I've recently moved into a new building that has wifi included for its tenants. I have no access to the modem, router, or any ethernet jacks. I have an AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac that I would like to connect to this network. In my last home, I was able to connect my Time Capsule to the existing internet through an ethernet jack. In turn, I then created my own wireless network which I used to connect all of my devices - rather than connecting them directly to the home's internet. Since I don't have an ethernet jack in my new building, I can't set it up like this.

I've been on all kinds of forums this afternoon attempting to find a solution to this problem. I've read enough to know that setting it up wireless is not ideal and believe me, I understand that. The upside (I think) is that the Time Capsule already has my previous backups. As much as I know it's not ideal, I do know that there are workarounds - especially with an increasing number of people living in buildings with wifi for tenants. I've tried soft, hard, and factory resets along with various options through the Air Port utility including an attempt to use my Time Capsule as a bridge, an attempt to extend the network, and an attempt to join the network. I'm not stupid and am decently literate with technology, but clearly seem to be missing something because nothing is working. I can connect to the Time Capsule, but then the Time Capsule doesn't connect to the wifi. I'm just absolutely confused at this point.

Would someone please, please provide me detailed step-by-step directions for how to set up this Time Capsule at my new building using the existing wifi? Thank you so very much!

I have:

AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac (model A1470)

MacBook Pro w/ Yosemite

iPhone 6

iPad Mini

wifi network name

wifi network pw

ethernet cable

I do NOT have:

access to the router

access to the modem

access to an ethernet jack

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 11:57 AM

39 replies

Jun 9, 2015 12:04 PM in response to applegirl0207

One preliminary question: Does the building WiFi network employ a "captive portal". That is, a web page where you must log into their network before you can actually get to the Internet? If so, then you can't do what you want at all.

If it does not, and it just relies on standard WPA security to authenticate, you will need a second device in order to accomplish what you want. For example, you could get an Airport Express. You can join the existing WiFi network with the Airport Express and use it to supply a wired connection to the Time Capsule, which you can then configure to provide a private WiFi network for your devices.

Jun 9, 2015 12:21 PM in response to applegirl0207

Unfortunately, the main problem here is that the Time Capsule was designed to connect to a wall Ethernet jack, a modem, or another router using a wired Ethernet connection.

You might want to try what I use when I'm traveling....and the hotel only has a wireless connection....yet I want to set up a Time Capsule to provide my own private wireless network to be used with other devices like an iPhone or iPad, or laptop computer.

This will sound strange, because it is not a "standard" type of way to set up a network.....but hear me out for a few moments, then you can decide whether you want to try this or not. It has worked fine for me for years wherever I go.

I use an AirPort Express to "join" the existing wireless network at the hotel. Then, I connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the Express to the WAN port on the Time Capsule...and set up the Time Capsule to create a wireless network for other multiple devices.

In effect, the AirPort Express performs as if it were a "modem", for the Time Capsule to use. The only difference here is that while a modem normally connects using a wired Internet connection....the Express connects using the available wireless Internet connection.

The downside.....an Express is about $100....and the setup can be a bit tricky. The good news....you will only have to set up the AirPort Express and Time Capsule once....while I have to set up the AirPort Express again at every hotel, since the wireless is different at every hotel.

If you decide that you want to try this, buy the AirPort Express from Apple...either online or from an Apple Store an Apple Store. You have a 14 day return privilege to return the Express for a refund if things don't work out. Other retailers might offer a similar option, but check first, before you buy.

Jun 9, 2015 12:24 PM in response to applegirl0207

That's correct. The Time Capsule (and most consumer grade routers) can not both join an existing network and create a wireless network simultaneously. If the router being used is an Airport, it could extend the existing network, but even if it were, doing so would be a very bad idea. #1, there would be no isolation from the public network of your network serving your devices. Your devices would be visible to anyone on the public network you're connected to.

Of course, if the network administrator is smart, they would have set up the network so that no device could access any other device on the local network, only the Internet. That's great, but it means that none of your devices would be able to talk to each other either.

Jun 9, 2015 12:24 PM in response to applegirl0207

That's correct. The Time Capsule (and most consumer grade routers) can not both join an existing network and create a wireless network simultaneously. If the router being used is an Airport, it could extend the existing network, but even if it were, doing so would be a very bad idea. #1, there would be no isolation from the public network of your network serving your devices. Your devices would be visible to anyone on the public network you're connected to.

Of course, if the network administrator is smart, they would have set up the network so that no device could access any other device on the local network, only the Internet. That's great, but it means that none of your devices would be able to talk to each other either.

Jun 9, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

So it sounds like I'm going to need an Airport Express. And because I need this all completed ASAP, I just ordered one that I'll be picking up at the store in a few hours. Excuse my ignorance here, but how are you "joining" the existing wifi network with the Express? Are you connecting it to your laptop first via an ethernet cable? I came across the following steps that seem like they might be applicable for this setup - are they? And if not, would you kindly clarify? Networking is my "weakest link" so I'm appreciative of any help you can provide despite my (likely silly and ignorant) questions. Thank you!

1. Connect your express (LAN port) directly to your mac ethernet and fire up airport utility.

2. Discover it (you may have to click on "Other Base stations" and pick LAN)

3. Select Create New Network rather than extend when configuring.

4. Under Wireless, enter the identical NAME, Security Type, and Password as your time capsule/extreme.

5 Under Network, select Bridged.

6. Let Airport setup finish, then unplug your express from the mac.

Jun 9, 2015 1:16 PM in response to applegirl0207

how are you "joining" the existing wifi network with the Express?

Via wireless only.

Are you connecting it to your laptop first via an ethernet cable?

No, not for the setup of the Express. But, once you have configured the Express to "join" the wireless network, you can then connect an Ethernet cable from one of the ports on the Express to your Mac, turn off the wireless on your Mac and test to make sure that you can get an Internet connection that way. If you can, then you know that the Express is working correctly.

Not sure where you got those steps but they are wrong for what you are trying to do. Trash them.

Post back when you have the Express and we'll take it from there.

Jun 9, 2015 7:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Sorry to jump in here, but I just moved to a residence with a similar set up. However I would like to connect to my TC without using it as a router. I just want to use it as an external hard drive and nothing else. (at least not at the moment)

Is my only solution to also go buy an Express to set up to the building's wifi then use it to set up my personal network inside my unit?

THanks!

Jun 9, 2015 9:46 PM in response to MonkeyBallZ88

MonkeyBallZ88 wrote:

Sorry to jump in here, but I just moved to a residence with a similar set up. However I would like to connect to my TC without using it as a router. I just want to use it as an external hard drive and nothing else. (at least not at the moment)

Is my only solution to also go buy an Express to set up to the building's wifi then use it to set up my personal network inside my unit?

THanks!

You cannot use the TC as a wireless hard disk without it being connected to the network in some way.. and since apple made their routers without the ability to connect by wireless to any other brand.. you must use some sort of wireless bridge.. or ethernet.. or secondary wireless.

Let me spell them out.

1. A wireless bridge in front of the TC.. this is the best as it puts the TC as part of the network.. you can buy an express or a much cheaper wireless bridge product to do it.. eg TP-Link, Netgear, etc make these.. or look at the apple refurb store.. or second hand sources.. Express is the only wireless router apple make that can do it.

2. If the computer has ethernet.. and you don't mind the cable.. then you can get internet by wireless and use TC for backup, connected by ethernet.. works well but a bit tricky to setup .. and wiring is needed.

3. A secondary wireless in the computer.. like a usb stick.. setup manually with TC on a different IP address.. messy as USB stick.. sticks out and you bump them and break the unit or worse the socket.

Jun 11, 2015 5:54 AM in response to applegirl0207

Sure. Locate the Express in an area where you know that you have a good wireless signal.

Power up the AirPort Express for a few minutes. It will be blinking amber at this time.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of your Mac's screen

Click directly on AirPort Express under the heading of New AirPort Base Station

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running, and it take a minute to analyze things, then present a screen that looks similar to this:

User uploaded file

If you do not see the name of the wireless network that you use, click the selection box in Connect To to search for the network and select it.

Click Next

User uploaded file

Notice that the message has changed to indicate that the Express will be set up to join (it cannot extend) the wireless network that you use

Type in a simple, short name that you want to call the Express

Type in the Password that you use to connect to the wireless network there

Verify the password again

Click Next

User uploaded file

The screen will look like this for a minute or two while the settings are provided to the Express and device restarts. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done. There should be a green light on the AirPort Express at this time.

As a test........Now turn off the wireless on your Mac and connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the Express to the Ethernet port on your Mac.

Restart the Mac

Check to see that you can get a good Internet connection. If you can, this confirms that the Express is correctly bridging the wireless network to Ethernet

Post back on your results, and we will continue.

Jun 11, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I've followed those steps and even re-checked them twice and everything seems okay until I turn off the wireless and attempt to access the internet connecting the ethernet cable between my laptop and the LAN port on the Express. Each time, I get the message that I'm not connected to the internet - despite checking Airport Utility where the Express is seemingly connected to the internet.User uploaded file

Jun 11, 2015 6:45 AM in response to applegirl0207

Power off the Express for a minute, then power it back up

Make sure that the wireless is turned off on your Mac, or try on another computer if you have one handy

Then, try again

If still no luck, reset the Express by holding in the reset button on the back for 7-8 seconds, then release and allow a minute for the Express to restart. Then, try the setup again.

The screenshots that you have are from an actual setup that I tested yesterday, so know that the setup is correct.

Try another Ethernet cable as well.

Jun 11, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I don't doubt that your directions are correct...I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to troubleshoot whatever is going on here. The first several times I attempt to setup the Express, I kept getting a message that "an unexpected error has occurred." After a few factory resets, I was able to successfully go through the steps that you laid out - even reaching the "done" step. However, rather than going green, the device continues to flash amber. When I click on the Express in the AirPort Utility, it indicates that there's an "excellent" connection with the building's network, but the status says "No DNS Servers." Any thoughts on this?

Jun 11, 2015 7:51 AM in response to applegirl0207

The first several times I attempt to setup the Express, I kept getting a message that "an unexpected error has occurred."

Unfortunately, that is caused by one of the many bugs in Yosemite, and would likely explain the difficulty that you are experiencing.

I'm going to be offline for a few hours, but I'll post a series of steps when I'm back that will hopefully work around the Yosemite bugs.

In the meantime, try connecting your Mac to the Express "WAN" port using an Ethernet cable

Reset the Express again

See if you can set up the Express to "join" the network that way

***Time Capsule: No Ethernet Jack, Must Connect Via WiFi - Desperately Need Help ASAP, Please!!***

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.