Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 MacBook Pro 15" - Screen occasionally flashes black when using Safari

I own a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz/16GB/512GB/AMD GPU. I noticed that some websites in Safari (e.g., the new Apple Music site) cause the entire screen to flash black for a split second. So far, this seems to occur only after the initial load of a page and before the first run of a video. I've managed to replicate the issue on two other same-model machines as well as on my own machine after resetting Safari. Are there any solutions or ideas as to why this might happen?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 12:14 PM

11 replies

Feb 7, 2017 4:09 AM in response to 6b65697468

Same Problem on Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M and Intel Iris Pro.

Found this at the Intel site:

Flickering Black Bars After Upgrading Graphics Driver

It is a problem with the Intel Driver somehow. And the Intel Guys fixed it. So please Apple, fix it, too. 🙂

The black bars appear when the Intel Iris chip is active and if the mouse cursor size is set to "size 3" in System preferences/Accessibility/Display.

I made a clean install of macOS Sierra just to be sure. Still reproducible.

I use this link http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/06/24/roundup-the-best-external-monitor-alte rnatives-to-apples-discontinued-thunderb… to reproduce the bug.

Scroll down to the big image of the Dell monitor. If the mouse leaves the image downwards, the screen starts to flicker.

Turning off "Automatic display switching" is not a long term option for me.

This MacBook was way expensive. So again, please fix this issue dear Apple support. 🙂

Jun 25, 2015 6:24 AM in response to 6b65697468

I think I have narrowed this down to the automatic graphics switching that is done when certain websites load content that cause the laptop to switch to performance (AMD) graphics chip from the low power (Intel Iris) graphics chip.

You can test this yourself by doing one of two things:

1. Open the System Preferences, then Energy Saver and disable "Automatic Graphics Switching". Then, return to the webpage and see if the behavior continues.

2. (More complex - more control) Downloading, installing and running a program called gfxCardStatus. Once installed, you will need to use it to set the graphics chip that the machine will use from dynamic to either "Integrated" or "Discrete". Then, return to the webpage and see if the behavior continues.

Hope this helps.

Jul 21, 2015 8:42 AM in response to 6b65697468

Have the exact same issue even with the MBP Retina 2014 15" model with NVidia card.

I filed a bug report to Apple and posted a few messages but they closed it as "duplicate"

The only "fix" I have so far is turning off "Automatic graphic switching"

Also affected top 33% of the screen. And it happens more prominently when you are using "scale" mode in the display settings.

Jul 21, 2015 2:29 PM in response to davidck

I have the same problem too. I have a 1 week old MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and 1TB SSD.

I only use Safari and as stated when I open some websites (PayPal UK is a control for me where this issue always happens for me) where the entire screen flashes black for a split second.

I have contacted Apple who advised me to reload OS X - which I did but the issue remains.

I have taken bcrsr's advice and from System Preferences, Energy Saver disabled Automatic Graphics Switching - this worked.

I then installed gfxCardStatus and then when I opened my control site that I knew I could replicate this issue with, gfxCardStatus displayed a message stating that Automatic Graphics Switching had occurred.

Not a great solution, but its peace of mind as 1. I now know others are having the same issue and as such 2. there isn't a fault with my new Macbook Pro.

Dec 9, 2015 8:18 PM in response to 6b65697468

Just to report I also found this problem in my late 2013 Macbook Pro with nVidia GT750m graphics. The problem is replicated during quick cursor movement over blocks of texts in any web browser (safari, chrome or firefox). Problem removed by disabling automatic graphics switching or forcing the use of the discrete graphics with gfxCardstatus app. I have never had this problem before until upgrading to El Capitan. This leads me to believe this is an OS bug rather than hardware problem. Anyone else can reproduce the problem as above?

Dec 22, 2015 12:33 AM in response to 6b65697468

had the same issue before with my mid 2015 Macbook Pro retina 15", screen flickers and turned black for a fraction of second whenever i visited certain website. Apple replaced my mac once and genius bar confirmed there is something wrong with the display, i can't remember what the problem was. So then the same issues came back, i tried to install the gfxCardStatus and found out the graphic switching caused the screen flickers. Whenever i play music along, the music will "flick" as well. So i tried to turn off the graphic switching, and now the problem's gone.

2015 MacBook Pro 15" - Screen occasionally flashes black when using Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.