Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add photos to the Notes app?

I have an iPad 4th generation running iOS 8.3. Apparently, when iOS 8 came out last September, a new feature was the ability to add pictures to a note within the native Notes application. I've looked up tutorials on how to do this, and apparently you're supposed to select an area of text/space within the note and tap the screen, then a menu will pop up with several options, and at the far right it should say "Insert Photo"...except on my iPad, that option does not appear. Is this feature only supported on the newest devices? My iPad came out in late 2012, so it's not that old...and besides, adding photos to a text document isn't exactly resource-hogging and doesn't require top-notch specs, so I'm not sure why this feature would only be available on newer devices. Does anyone know? I've tried Googling this and can't find any posts about it.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 9, 2015 8:07 PM

11 replies

Jun 9, 2015 8:18 PM in response to jtw11

I have an iPad Mini, Model A1454, Wi-Fi & Cellular. I have iOS 8.3 on the device. I just created a new Note, tapped on the screen and the menu came up that states Select, Select All, Paste, Insert Photo. So, your iPad, 4th Gen, is newer than mine and I can do it. As far as your comment "select and area of text/space" are you trying to do something in particular there. All I did was tap on the screen to bring it up.

Jun 9, 2015 9:40 PM in response to jtw11

Okay, I discovered the problem. I had my Notes synced with my university email account, which uses Microsoft Exchange. For some reason, while synced with Exchange, it doesn't let you add photos. I turned off the "Notes" option under my university email account in the Settings app, and now I can add pictures. Mystery solved!

Jun 9, 2015 9:41 PM in response to jtw11

What is really strange, there is no Paste either. What troubleshooting have you tried? User steps are restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new. Power the iPad off/on (restart), then if that doesn't work, then hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. The iPad will reboot. (reset). Also, go into Settings>General>Restrictions. Is Restrictions enabled, or do you have any restrictions turned on?

Jun 9, 2015 9:45 PM in response to jtw11

That's interesting. I have mine synced with Outlook on my home computer, but I also have the option to sync with my college (work) Exchange account. I will check tomorrow to see what might happen if I set it to sync with my work account. It is getting late and I need to get to bed. I'll report back tomorrow.

EDIT: I couldn't stand it, I had to look. I don't have the ability to add Notes to sync with my Exchange account. So that answers that.

How to add photos to the Notes app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.