Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers: When inserting a formula for division when typing in the "/" divide sign, only returned the default " ?

Numbers: When entering a formula for division, when the key for "/" is pressed, that symbol for division does not appear, but the default "+" always appears.

How to make Numbers make a formula for division within a cell.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 10, 2015 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 2:21 PM

I agree, this is a serious accessibility issue. I can't tell the difference between the plus and division signs on my MacBook Air with my glasses on or off. I had to copy the formula and edit it in a text editor so I could see what I was doing. Please Apple, change the division sign to the standard / to comply with accessibility requirements.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2017 2:21 PM in response to GeMenRe

I agree, this is a serious accessibility issue. I can't tell the difference between the plus and division signs on my MacBook Air with my glasses on or off. I had to copy the formula and edit it in a text editor so I could see what I was doing. Please Apple, change the division sign to the standard / to comply with accessibility requirements.

Sep 9, 2017 6:33 AM in response to SoftwareAddict1462

At my age (over 60) I no longer can see the difference without expanding the view every time! If it were once per day it would not be a problem, but this is like once per minute (I use some very long formulas). I am about to give up on Numbers just because of this simple problem - and I really am trying to switch from Excel.

Maybe if you Apple made the dots thicker and a bit farther appart it would be more visible, but why not simply use "/"?

Tut2

Sep 9, 2017 2:06 PM in response to Tut2

Tut2 wrote:

Maybe if you Apple made the dots thicker and a bit farther appart it would be more visible, but why not simply use "/"?

Hi Tut2,

We're fellow users here. If you want to communication with Apple then in your menu you can got to Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

FWIW, I don't mind the division sign, now that I know to expect it when I type a / . It's unambiguous and is consistent with what one expects to see on calculators and mobile devices (Numbers is running on mobile devices a lot these days).

Numbers: When inserting a formula for division when typing in the "/" divide sign, only returned the default " ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.