Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tenda w311n with iMac G3 indigo, Mac OS 9.2.2?

Hey iMac community. I've got an indigo iMac G3, summer of 2000 model with Mac OS 9.2.1 hat needs wifi. I have a small USB adapter from tenda, the tenda w311n model. When I plug it into the mac, it spits out to me, "could not find drivers for 802.11n wireless usb adapter. " and requests to surf the internet for it... Which ironically, is what I'm trying to get working. I did a bunch of searching, and tenda never manufactured Mac OS 9 drivers for their adapter. Is there a generic driver I can try?

iMac, Mac OS 9.2.x, G3 indigo, summer of 2000 model.

Posted on Jun 10, 2015 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:33 AM

Without being familiar with exactly the adapter in question, drivers for USB Wi-Fi devices today typically require at least Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4.

What you could do is to use a wireless Ethernet bridge (connected to the Ethernet port of the iMac) instead. There are several to choose from, including the examples Netgear WNCE2001 and Linksys WET610N. A modern wireless Ethernet bridge supports the latest security protocols. The advantage is that special driver software is not required, meaning that almost any operating system will be OK. Normally, the bridge can be configured through a standard web browser (if necessary, even at another computer).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2015 10:33 AM in response to minetape

Without being familiar with exactly the adapter in question, drivers for USB Wi-Fi devices today typically require at least Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4.

What you could do is to use a wireless Ethernet bridge (connected to the Ethernet port of the iMac) instead. There are several to choose from, including the examples Netgear WNCE2001 and Linksys WET610N. A modern wireless Ethernet bridge supports the latest security protocols. The advantage is that special driver software is not required, meaning that almost any operating system will be OK. Normally, the bridge can be configured through a standard web browser (if necessary, even at another computer).

Tenda w311n with iMac G3 indigo, Mac OS 9.2.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.