Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Funky Problem entering events on iCal / Calendar app

Calendar (iCal) keeps erasing new entries I add, defaulting to 'new entry.'

Has been going on 5 days.

Running on OS 10.9.4.

No new software added or updated.

What gives? And how can I fix it?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jun 10, 2015 4:02 PM

18 replies

Jun 11, 2015 6:26 PM in response to abbefinnanabelle

1. Calendars in the On My Mac or On My iPhone/iPad/iPod category, and calendars that sync with other network services such as Google, will not sync with iCloud.

2. Back up all data, then take all the applicable steps in these support articles:

iCloud: Troubleshooting iCloud Calendar

iCloud: Advanced Calendar and iCal troubleshooting

Nearly all sync issues should be resolved that way. Please make sure you've taken all the steps and tested adequately before continuing.

3. If there are any calendars on your Mac that you don't synchronize with iCloud, export them by selecting them in the calendar list and then selecting

File ▹ Export ▹ Export

from the menu bar. Quit Calendar.

4. Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Calendars

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder selected. Move that folder to the Desktop.

5. Launch Calendar. Your calendars will initially be gone, but they should resynchronize with iCloud. If they don't, uncheck the boxes marked Calendars and Reminders in the iCloud preference pane, then re-check them.

6. Import the calendars you exported in Step 3, if any, by double-clicking the files.

7. If the issue is resolved, close the Finder window you opened in Step 4. Delete the exported files and the Calendars folder on the Desktop.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Jul 9, 2015 3:04 PM in response to abbefinnanabelle

I have this problem too. It's been going on for a few weeks and started suddenly. None of the troubleshooting ideas address this. Has anyone solved it?? It happens on my computer -- which is where I usually add appointments -- but not on my phone. A real problem! I have started looking around for other calendar aps but would rather be able to stick with ical, but can't if appointments won't enter. It happens when I enter an appointment. I click "done" and all the info I typed disappears.

Jul 9, 2015 3:33 PM in response to marshama

Hi Marshama,

I am so busy I haven't had time to try the remedies Linc Davis suggested, but I did find a workaround.

When I create a 'new event,' I have two sets of dropdown menus: one for my iphone and one for my desktop computer.

The dropdown will default to the phone, but if I scroll up and check the event type I'm entering on the list attached to my desktop, the events stay put e.g., don't erase! Try and see if that works -- assuming your calendar is set up the same way. One never knows in the magical world of Apple... good luck.

Jul 12, 2015 2:15 PM in response to abbefinnanabelle

Kudos to Kenneth at Applecare, for getting to the bottom of deleting an Apple Support Communities posting I did, a screenshot of my ICal that I posted to HELP another user who had a similar problem that I had, using the iCal application.

Why do you have to accrue points on the forum before you can delete posts that you realize you may not want out there in public?

Surely you could put instructions on the actual discussion page for posters to edit or delete posts they do? It took 45 minutes on a Sunday with Kenneth trying to get answers on his end and having to call me back twice.

The problem was resolved, thankfully, but could you good people at Apple Support Communities rethink how these forums are "helping" customers, when that much time and efforts needs to be exerted for something that could take less than 5 seconds?

I would be interested in hearing from you about this.

My thanks.

Abigail

Jul 12, 2015 2:22 PM in response to abbefinnanabelle

In order to report any post, you must have amassed 150 points and you cannot report your own. You cannot delete any post - only the hosts will and usually only if it violates the ToU. They will gladly edit out any personal info/details when asked - which is what I did.

Kenneth posted a question on how to delete a post in another forum here; I answered him and after he posted a link to your post, I asked the hosts to edit out the screenshot of your calendar.

FWIW, you were speaking with Apple tech support/Applecare - and these forums are user to user forums; there are no Apple employees here providing support.

Jul 12, 2015 2:38 PM in response to babowa

Thank U Babowa, Understood.

I called apple support/applecare because, as you see, I'd posted a request on this string Jul 9, 2015 6:22 PM asking how to make contact with a host/moderator. Since I hadn't heard back, and was a little leery about having a screen shot of my calendar hanging out in cyberspace, I contacted them.

Thanks for responding.

Abigail

Jul 12, 2015 3:43 PM in response to abbefinnanabelle

You're welcome. Obviously, no one saw that post or they would have reported it right away. If you ever have another problem like it, give it a few hours and then start a new post with something like "need to delete private info in post" and post a link to your post. It was a good thing that Kenneth posted here as tech support and these forums are two entirely different entities and the Applecare advisors really have nothing they can do over here. As I said, there are no Apple employees - there are some hosts who run the forum and take action if necessary (making sure the forums run the way they should), but they don't read posts generally without being alerted to one. The rest of us are all volunteers/other users.

Funky Problem entering events on iCal / Calendar app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.