Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/versions/

Is this a genuine MacOSX / Safari folder or this folder is created by a new MalWare / Adinject activity on my Mac:

System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/versions/A/XPCServices/ ...

I used the LittleSnitch ( Objective Development ) to monitor my network activities. Safari was the only application running at the time. I managed to isolate the filtering period to exactly the time that I got the popups from ad-injections and MacKeeper. LittleSnitch shows an abbreviated process title has successfully made thousands of connections to outside world in only " TWO MINUTES " and the stuff inside this folder are the culprit - mostly this one " com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc ".

Now, question is which one these items are supposed to be Malware and is there a chance the culprit is a hidden file as those items appear to be Apple stuff:

com.apple.WebKit.Databases.xpc

com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc

com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.32.xpc

com.apple.WebKit.Plugin.64.xpc

com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.xpc

Should I delete that questionable " StagedFrameworks " folder and be done with it !?

MacOSX 10.9.5 - Safari 7.1 ( no Extensions ) - iMac2012 - wired singled connection to the Internet.

Posted on Jun 10, 2015 10:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 6:33 AM

I have it on my computer and I have all the other files, so it appears to be part of the OS. Deleting items from the System/Library folder can damage the OS. I'd leave it in place.

5 replies

Jun 11, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric,

I wasn't sure. That folder doesn't exist on my wife's Mavericks OSX, so I assumed. I am aware of the issues related to deleting files/folder within the system and Library. That is the lesson USER would learn only once! LOL

Meanwhile I managed to get rid of adwares. They are getting smarter and nastier. This thing came in with a driver for an older Wacom Tablet. I did send a warning to Apple and Wacom.

Jul 31, 2015 8:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

Pretty nasty comment, can you support it with some valid information that allowed you to arrive at this conclusion. Little Snitch has been around for years and happens to be quite useful if you know how to use it properly. I look forward to your response and please be congenial and provide verifiable facts as opposed to bitter opinion. Thanks.....

System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/versions/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.