Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login to another Mac computer

I have realised that I am still a user on my ex's Airbook and he is a user on my Mac. I want to remove him as a user on my Mac, I've been unable to find out how to do this and more importantly I wonder if there any ways to remove my user account off his Laptop (apart from asking him to do it!)? I'd prefer not to ask as he is then aware that I'm still on his system.

I appreciate any help you can give as I've done lots of searches and can't find any answers to this question.

Sue

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 6:03 AM

Hi Sue,

I will assume that you are using OS X 10.6.8 as that is the forum you have posted in. (iOS is for mobile devices)

To remove the ex's account from your Mac, go to System Preferences (click the Apple logo)-> Accounts if it is locked you will have to enter the admin password to unlock it. Then highlight (click on) the ex's account, then click the minus symbol in the lower left of that pane. I would also change your admin password to make your mac secure. (Click on your account in System Prefs. password tab, click Change Password) Check Sharing in System Prefs. and make sure nothing is checked (unless you need it for something)

To get your account removed from the other computer, ex's computer would have to have remote log in enabled, being allowed to log in and have his password to make changes. You may need to ask him, as he will be able to see your account anyway. Here is a some info on that.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10618?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_UShttp://

Hope this helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2015 6:03 AM in response to suefromdurham

Hi Sue,

I will assume that you are using OS X 10.6.8 as that is the forum you have posted in. (iOS is for mobile devices)

To remove the ex's account from your Mac, go to System Preferences (click the Apple logo)-> Accounts if it is locked you will have to enter the admin password to unlock it. Then highlight (click on) the ex's account, then click the minus symbol in the lower left of that pane. I would also change your admin password to make your mac secure. (Click on your account in System Prefs. password tab, click Change Password) Check Sharing in System Prefs. and make sure nothing is checked (unless you need it for something)

To get your account removed from the other computer, ex's computer would have to have remote log in enabled, being allowed to log in and have his password to make changes. You may need to ask him, as he will be able to see your account anyway. Here is a some info on that.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10618?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_UShttp://

Hope this helps.

Jun 11, 2015 6:08 AM in response to suefromdurham

suefromdurham wrote:

I have realised that I am still a user on my ex's Airbook and he is a user on my Mac. I want to remove him as a user on my Mac,

System prefs > Users & Accounts.

Select his account and delete it.

more importantly I wonder if there any ways to remove my user account off his Laptop (apart from asking him to do it!)?

No.

He'd be aware that you are s user on the computer every time he turns it on as he has to select a user account and all accounts are shown at startup.

Jun 11, 2015 6:17 AM in response to suefromdurham

more importantly I wonder if there any ways to remove my user account off his Laptop (apart from asking him to do it!)?

That was be unwise, as you no longer have a relationship with this person, and any access now would be considered computer intrusion. Suggest you either ask, or forget about it.

With respect to your own Mac, you should also change your own passwords, and the passwords for any on-line accounts that your Ex might have known about. Especially if you often used the same password for multiple accounts, and the Ex discovered one, that could then be used for others.

Login to another Mac computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.