Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new TC is knocking out my internet

I Have recently purchased a brand new TC. My TC is in the middle of my house. It's creates a wifi network. I have 2 airport expresses that are connected via Ethernet to the TC. They are at either end of the house. I have tried all configurations but the only one that works is if we set up the Airport Expreses as creating a wifi network. Ever other configuration (ie extend or join) kill the Internet connection.

Just ust doesn't sound right. I think it points to something wrong with the brand new TC but would like your opinion first. Thanks. Steve

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 3:10 AM

5 replies

Jun 11, 2015 6:30 AM in response to swbaus

If you are using a recent operating system like Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite. The setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort devices for you correctly, so you don't really need to worry all the much about how to set up the Expresses.

I suggest that you power off the AirPort Express devices for now and get the TC up and running. If things seem to be OK after an hour or two, then the TC is fine, and you can add the Expresses using the setup "wizard".

Post back if this sounds like it makes sense to you.

Jun 11, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, I was hoping you would chime in on this as you seem to be the guru. Thank you for helping out.

What you suggest makes perfect sense. We used to have a great set up with very few issues. Recently I was granted approval from the CFO of the household (my wife) to buy some new gear. The existing AirPort Time Capsule (802.11n 4th Generation) that I was using was close to disc capacity so i though, let's get a new gen TC. The blurb says it's a quicker wifi and with 2TB I will be set for some time.

I let it configure itself which was awesome and away I went. And ever since I have had problems. Out of frustration, this morning I took the new TC out of the system and dropped the old one back in and it's working perfectly.

My next step is to totally reset the new TC back to factory settings and start again. and if that doesn't work I am taking it back. Thoughts?

Thanks again. Steve

Jun 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to swbaus

Good plan.

But, be sure to power off the Expresses and work only with the new TC, and get it up and running well first......before....you add the Expresses back to the network.

It would be better if you could use a different wireless network name and password on the new TC, to eliminate the possible conflicts of having two different devices both using the same names.

Jul 5, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, thought I would give you an update on this.

Last week I ripped everything apart and started again. Did as you suggested, took the new TC back to factory setting (together with all the other airport expresses). I could not get the TC to maintain the internet connection. Before I took it back to the apple store, i thought I will call Apple support. 2.5 hrs later, we got it and the other expresses working.

However, now the wifi connection is dropping out regularly. It seems (I say seems as I am yet to verify) that when the TC is backing up, the wifi drops out. It is driving me crazy. So I am running a test at the moment by disconnecting the backup function to see if this fixes it. If it does, i am taking it back. If it doesn't, Im moving house (to get rid of the internet evil spirits) and changing to windows.

Hope all is well. Steve

My brand new TC is knocking out my internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.