Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iMovie version 10.0.8 on IMAC. Trying to move to WD MyBook Studio formatted hfs journaled mac os 10.5 or later. Hrddrive icon not showing up in iMovie window

I have IMovie 10.0.8 on IMAC. trying to move event or project to Ext hard drive to then free up space on computer. I have a WD My Book Studio 3 TB Ext drive formatted HFS+ journaled for MAC OS 10.5 or later. The Ext Hard drive icon not recognized or not showing up in I movie to allow me to make the transfer.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 6:14 AM

7 replies

Jun 28, 2015 6:22 AM in response to GeeD

Still having trouble moving project to Ext HD that is supposedly formatted for MAC. Maybe I am not following your recommendations correctly. Is it more likely an issue with the Ext HD or the I movie program. Should I reinstall I movie? Is there another Movie app which may work better? Thank you

Jun 28, 2015 1:35 PM in response to GeeD

I can , but when I connect the ext hard drive to another apple computer, it does not allow me to view. In the tutorials online, on youtube etc, , it is apparent that the ext hard drive icon appears on the left side in the events column of iMovie and it is a matter of just dragging to it. When I connect my ext hard drive, an icon does not appear. Also, in the online tutorials, when the project is dragged to the ext HD icon, there appears to be a choice of either copying project or copy project and events. The latter is apparently recommend. I am not able to even make this choice. In other words, a box with those choices does not pop up. Your advice is appreciated. Im sure I am just doing something wrong.

Jun 28, 2015 2:17 PM in response to droc3

"when I connect the ext hard drive to another apple computer, it does not allow me to view. In the tutorials online, on youtube etc, , it is apparent that the ext hard drive icon appears on the left side in the events column of iMovie and it is a matter of just dragging to it. "

The hard drive icon only appears in iMovie 9 (=iMovie '11) but not iMovie 10.0.8. If the other computer is using iMovie 9 it won't be able to read iMovie 10 libraries. The two versions use completely different ways of storing projects and events. If you want to edit on two different machines they both have to be using exactly the same version of iMovie.

Geoff.

Jun 28, 2015 3:30 PM in response to GeeD

Wow thats inconvenient. So whatever projects I am making now won't be playable on an Apple computer in 5 yrs?? Its not that I want to "edit" on 2 diff machines...I just want to simply preserve my home videos in some way that I will be able to access them on another device 5 or 10 yrs from now. ...and then clear the video off my computer. Maybe "I movie" not the way to go. Any suggestions are appreciated. Any other software better suited to this?

Jun 28, 2015 3:45 PM in response to droc3

"So whatever projects I am making now won't be playable on an Apple computer in 5 yrs??"

No. You can update iMovie 9 projects to iMovie 10 and continue editing them (but not the reverse) and of course completed and shared movies will remain playable with Quicktime player or similar.

Geoff.

I have iMovie version 10.0.8 on IMAC. Trying to move to WD MyBook Studio formatted hfs journaled mac os 10.5 or later. Hrddrive icon not showing up in iMovie window

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.