Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stream audio from mac mini to remote macbook

How do I run an audio app (e.g.,iTunes) on a Mac Mini (Yosemite, OS X Server, RealVNC Server) to a Macbook (Yosemite, RealVNCViewer) - (a) locally and (b) remotely over the internet?

I can log in to the Mac Mini from the Macbook, either locally or remotely, using RealVNC Server and Viewer; run apps on the Mac Mini as though I were sitting in front of it. But when I play a Netflix movie on the Mac Mini, or an iTunes song, I don;t hear any sound on the Macbook.

I suspect that I need to do Port Forwarding. I have set up my Cisco XB3 Gateway to forward Port 3389 to the Mac Mini's internal IP address, to support remote screen sharing. What port do I need to forward for audio?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Krish

Mac Mini (Yosemite, OS X Server)

Macbook (Yosemite)

iPad II

iPhone 6 +

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 6:49 AM

3 replies

Jun 16, 2015 12:49 PM in response to chattphotos

I don't understand the question of "Why?" It is something I want to do and I am looking for any available help on how to do it. I am not looking for a workaround, or a way to accomplish something definite. This is a capability I want to acquire, if it is technically feasible and not cost-prohibitive.

In the context of iTunes, I have 1TB of storage on the Mac Mini, so I want to keep the entire music library there; then play songs on my Macbook.

I can pay Apple $25 a year for iTunes Match to do this; I am looking for a different way.

I can also sit out on my deck, log in to Comcast's Xfinity website and play live sports (on channels to which my Comcast account is subscribed). I get the video, but no sound.

I have tried forwarding Port 3689 on the Comcast Router to my Mac Mini. It does not help.

All help is appreciated.

-Krish

Jun 16, 2015 1:20 PM in response to KrishMBA

I have to ask why, because some users ask for illegal or otherwise not so copyright-friendly methods.

Otherwise, some methods aren't as efficient as they could be... You're in the second realm of efficient methods.

iTunes library over the internet, it is complicated and might not be worth it... I recommend Spotify instead of iStreaming the whole library.

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer/iHomeServer-Access-iTunes-from-the-Intern et.aspx

Video streaming- Login to the Comcast website on your laptop, keep it simple, no need to VNC that.

Local network stuff: Turn on home sharing in iTunes Preferences, this will allow you to access your library. User uploaded file

stream audio from mac mini to remote macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.