Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will a 2007 Cinema Display Connect with a New(er) Mac Mini?

Hello there, tech dunce here. With the idea too much information is better than too little, here goes…

This is actually about a display, but for context: To date I've been struggling with an underpowered 2007 Mac Mini2,1 w/OS X 10.7.5 Lion, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM.

To replace that I just brought a refurbished mid-2011 Mac Mini5,1 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 with Thunderclap or something, 4GB DDR3, 500GB 5400RPM HDD w/AirPort, Bluetooth running OS X 10.7.5 Lion. (I don't know what most of that means, but it's on the invoice and looks important.)

I want to continue using the 20" Cinema Display I bought with the old mini in 2007. The original shipping case (I kept it) says it supports resolutions up to 1680 by 1050. Googulated Innerweb images for connections match "DVI-D Single Link" to the pins I see in the end of the display's cable.

HOWEVER, the adapter to which the vendor directed me is a "Mini DisplayPort to DUAL-Link DVI" - AND it's for a 30" Cinema Display. (It just shipped, and I only learned this afterward.) And I don't even see Apple's site listing a 30" display.

IT GETS WORSE!! Along with the main cable the display has a Firewire and USB wire in its harness - BUT, this DUAL-Link DVI adapter already has a USB lead ("for extra power"). I could hook up the Firewire to its port (I can do that much), but now I have TWO USB wires.

So, do I hook up BOTH USB wires? Will the rig explode if I do? Will it turn on me? Do I need a different adapter? What to do, what to do…

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MacMini2,1 2GHz Core 2, 2 GB RAM

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:04 AM

If this is the adapter you have:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571LL/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-ad apter

Its an easy thing.

What you want to do, is plug the USB, and DVI ends from the Cinema display cable into the adapter, and then the Mini-Display Port, and USB cables on the other side of the Adapter, to your Mac Mini. The MiniDispaly Port will plug into the port with the thunderbolt logo next to it. and the Usb port will plug in to any of that 4 available Usb ports on the Mini.

The FireWire cable from the Cinema display can be plugged into the fireWire port on the back of the Mini, if you need the Firewire ports on the display to work.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2015 10:04 AM in response to YeOldeLuddite

If this is the adapter you have:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571LL/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-ad apter

Its an easy thing.

What you want to do, is plug the USB, and DVI ends from the Cinema display cable into the adapter, and then the Mini-Display Port, and USB cables on the other side of the Adapter, to your Mac Mini. The MiniDispaly Port will plug into the port with the thunderbolt logo next to it. and the Usb port will plug in to any of that 4 available Usb ports on the Mini.

The FireWire cable from the Cinema display can be plugged into the fireWire port on the back of the Mini, if you need the Firewire ports on the display to work.

Jun 11, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil, thanks for your response. This what the vendor recommended: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Kanex/MDPC30/

Note it has no USB port in it like the one you forwarded, so I'd have a homeless USB lead with nowhere to go (unless it can just go into the back of the Mini along with the Firewire). Since I posted originally, I've put a shout-out to the Kanex people for their help, but from your recommendation I guess I'll send mine back when it gets here…unless you can see how I can make this MDPC30 work. Suggestions?

Jun 11, 2015 2:29 PM in response to YeOldeLuddite

You'll know if the screen flickers. Then you can simply plug in the usb to the back of the MacMini. Try it first without the extra USB. If it works without any flicker, you're o.k.

You can plug it in, it won't hurt if its there, but it will be using one of the USB ports on the MacMini, if you need it for something, you'll have to unplug it.

Will a 2007 Cinema Display Connect with a New(er) Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.