Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting photos after uploading to iCloud

after my photos and videos have been uploaded to iCloud can i delete them off my iPhone and iPad? I use the latest iOS and Photos software with the option to save all photos to the cloud.

I use an iMac , iPhone 6+, Ipad all using the latest iOS and OS X and back up via iTunes to the cloud and back up photos app to the cloud

after backing up i observe i.e. on my phone that i still am using nearly 4GB for photos and i want to save space on my phone.

I have set the photos optimisation setting on my phone. IE lower quality copies kept on the phone.

Is there a way i can just have photos on the cloud once synced?

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 11:20 AM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2015 1:10 PM in response to FoxFifth

Hi Foxfifth Im clearly not making this clear enough. I pay to back up my photos to the Cloud. this means all my photos are on the cloud and when i open photos on my iPhone or iPad or macbook or iMac they are there. i can see them (accessible) and viewable. all I’m asking is do i have to store ‘thumbprints or lower res versions on each device (taking up space on space limited devices by definition)? OR can i just access 7 years of photos from the cloud when i want to scroll back and see them. Im merely trying to find ways to save precious space on iPhone, iPad etc. regards Jack

Jun 11, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Knowmadiq

A backup to iCloud doesn't result in photos that are viewable or accessible in any way other than to do a full restore (which is typically done in the event of a significant problem or when moving data to a new iPhone). More information on backups: About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

If you are using iCloud Photo Library (which it sounds like you are), there is no option to have the photos stored only on iCloud. If you delete a photo from your iPhone, iPad, or iMac it will be deleted from all of the other devices using iCloud Photo Library and from iCloud Photos as well. You could make a suggestion to Apple for more options regarding this: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

There are 3rd party options which offer cloud-only photo storage. I don't use them myself but two that you may want to consider are DropBox and Flickr.

Jun 15, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Knowmadiq

Sorry but Apple does not offer any cloud-only storage options. You are not the only one who would like to see an option to do it the way you are asking about -- i.e., have the photos available on iCloud but not taking up space on devices -- but it is not currently an option with Apple's iCloud.

There is no way with iCloud Photo Library to have the photos remain on iCloud without being on all of your devices which are also connected to iCloud Photo Library. See the following from the second part of my original reply:

If you are using iCloud Photo Library (which it sounds like you are), there is no option to have the photos stored only on iCloud. If you delete a photo from your iPhone, iPad, or iMac it will be deleted from all of the other devices using iCloud Photo Library and from iCloud Photos as well. You could make a suggestion to Apple for more options regarding this: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

There are 3rd party options which offer cloud-only photo storage. I don't use them myself but two that you may want to consider are DropBox and Flickr.

deleting photos after uploading to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.