Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express causing IP multiple IP conflicts with other Apple Devices

I have many Apple devices in a not so complex wireless network. The devices are as follows;

Devices

Airport Express

AppleTV1

AppleTV2

AppleTV3

AppleTV4

MacBook Pro1

MacBook Pro2

MacMini

iPad Mini(1)

iPad Mini(2)

iPad Mini(1)

iPad Air (2)

iPhone6(1)

iPhone6(2)

My Airport Express keeps causing IP conflicts. I've even given it a static IP address and I still get notification from my Meraki security appliance that my airportExpress is stealing IP's from other devices. I opened a ticket with Meraki and they looked at my logs. Their explanation was that "This is generally due to the Bonjour Sleep Proxy on Apple devices which replies on behalf of other devices not currently actively online. Disabling this should prevent this from occurring".

Is this a known issue? Should I disable the bonjour sleep proxy? If so, where?

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:25 AM

11 replies

Jun 11, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Desmond Lewis Smith

I think it is a possible cause.. and yes.. apple gear can have issues.

What I suggest you do is move the dhcp server to the express..

Although I would really prefer to see you using something more substantial like an extreme.. but anyway for now.. I need you to give me more more more info..

Is the express the only wireless AP in the network?

How is it connected to the Meraki security appliance??.. which I know is simple as ethernet.. but I want you to tell me that.

Is the Express bridged and used to create a wireless network?

Assuming yes to all the above..

Change the Express from bridge operation to static IP.

I have given a run down of how to do this here.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981989?answerId=25135547022#25135547022&ac_cid=tw123456#

It appears more difficult than it is.. just follow it through step by step..

Apple stuff can work much more happily in pure apple network environment. You are not double NATting.. which is the secret of this.. it is simply creating a secondary dhcp server and using a selected range of IP from the main router.. in your case you will need most of them. You do need a 100 addresses available and set lease time short.. 20min.. to keep leases returned to the pool ASAP.

Jun 11, 2015 2:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

Time Warner Modem to Meraki MX64 security appliance in equipment closet. The MX64 is a security appliance from Cisco but does not have wireless capabilities. I run DHCP on the Meraki MX64. It's an advanced appliance for the home, but the QOS and various traffic shaping are a great add. The wireless capabilities come from 2 Ubiquiti Networks hard wired Access Points running WPA Personal. I have central closet with the modem, 2 switches and the security appliance, the AP's are distributed in strategic locations for maximum wireless range.

The airport express is used for music and is in client mode only. The only function the airport express service is to stream music from my iTunes to my home audio receiver.

There are no other devices running DHCP in my home except for the MX64 security appliance.

So in short, it would seem that the Apple products are communicating via proxy/bonjour imitating IP' addresses of other Apple devices only. I'm not even sure how it causes a conflict since it would appear from what I read that this is only done when one device is off. The only reason it concerns me is because my Meraki MX64 sends notifications that there is an IP conflict.

Is the bonjour service something I need? How hard is it to disable?

Jun 11, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I didn't include the modem information since it didn't seem relevant. The modem is a Motorola SB6141, but the ISP has complete control of the modem. The modem does nothing but provide broadband to my home. For the sake of IP, my security appliance is assigned an IP address via the broadband connection to the ISP which then runs network address translation internally for my internal addressing. The bulk of the work is done via my Meraki security appliance; it runs DHCP, Firewall, Traffic Shaping, Monitoring, Security filtering, content filtering, etc.

Jun 11, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Just wondering if the problem is more so the bonjour sleep proxy, since it always reverts back to the assigned IP. I haven't had any problems that would point to the modem. I'm not disagreeing that the modem could be junk, but more so that it may not be this time.

The log files from my appliance show what's taking the IP addresses and it's only Apple devices, so it makes sense that the problem would be bonjour sleep proxy since it would "imitate" the IP address of other Apple devices only.

I hope I'm not sounding snooty, I am the one ASKING for help and I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. I'm somewhat knowledgeable in IP, network admin for years, CCNA years back, yada yada yada... but obviously that experience doesn't help me here..... LOL

Jun 11, 2015 4:34 PM in response to Desmond Lewis Smith

Ok... I am really glad I asked because this is much more complex than I saw from your first post.

The wireless capabilities come from 2 Ubiquiti Networks hard wired Access Points running WPA Personal.

The airport express is used for music and is in client mode only. The only function the airport express service is to stream music from my iTunes to my home audio receiver.

Is the bonjour service something I need? How hard is it to disable?

Bonjour is problematic. More in the latest devices with Yosemite and iOS >8

My Airport Express keeps causing IP conflicts.

Can you post the actual details for how the express is setup..

I am not sure how the Express can cause the trouble.. but lets start with exactly what it does in the network.

You stated.

The airport express is used for music and is in client mode only.

Please open the airport utility on a computer.. click on the express so it shows its configuration.. and post that as screenshot.

(I don't have express.. but this is what I want to see).

User uploaded file

You can also click the edit and give me just the relevant bit of the wireless page and network page.. although most of it is right there on this screen.

Should I disable the bonjour sleep proxy? If so, where?

The answer to this is most likely yes.. the problem is where.. because I am not sure it is so easy as turning it off.

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy - Apple Support

There is stuff everywhere about it.. but not a lot about what to do when you have issues..

I can see you have multiple Apple TV.. they as well as the Express are possible sources of the problem.. if you turn it off in one.. can you turn it off in all of them.. I don't think so.. !!

It is better to simply make it stay put.. and make sure as much as possible it doesn't get involved in DHCP.. since your setup is such that you cannot really move dhcp to the apple router as I first proposed.

I don't think you have a problem with the modem.. which is problematic with apple routers.. because you do not have apple router involved.

I would still prefer to work out an arrangement where something apple took over as dhcp server.. even if it doesn't route.. and to do that, I think I would like you to grab a airport extreme.. a gen 4 or gen5 would be more than good enough.. you don't need to use it for wireless.. that is taken care of by the ubiquiti WAPs.. you just need some device from apple to take over the dhcp duties.. that will btw not stop the Meraki security device working on routing, QoS, firewall and all the other stuff it does. I just want something else to handle dhcp to the apple clients.

Airport Express causing IP multiple IP conflicts with other Apple Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.