Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove photos from iPhone 5c?

With iCloud activated, how do I remove photos from my iPhone 5c (iOS 8.3) without also deleting them from my Macbook Pro (15" early 2011, Yosemite 10.10.3.)?

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 11:21 AM

6 replies

Jun 11, 2015 11:28 AM in response to digitalneg

If you are using iCloud Photo Library there is no option to delete photos from any device or iCloud without them being deleted from all of the devices which are using iCloud Library and from iCloud. The most you can do to reduce storage required on the phone is to go to Settings > Photos & Camera and turn Optimize iPhone Storage to on.

You could make a suggestion for that option to be offered: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Jun 11, 2015 11:36 AM in response to FoxFifth

Just checked and optimize iPhone storage is checked. What I really want to do is remove ALL photos from the iPhone without losing them elsewhere, it's memory (8GB) is full. I'm an old guy and this is my first iPhone. My 5c holds once in a lifetime photos of us at Disneyland with our only grandson and I'm nervous about losing them. Seems like this would be - or should be - a simple task. But I'm baffled. Thanks in advance.

Jun 11, 2015 1:41 PM in response to digitalneg

It is hard to answer without more details, but here is some information:

As I said before, if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on then any photos you delete from the phone will also be deleted from iCloud and if you also have iCloud Photo Library turned on in Photos on your Mac, they would be deleted from there as well. The design of iCloud Photo Library is to make all of your photos available on all of the devices.

If your only current objective is to delete photos from your phone without deleting them from iCloud and your Mac (assuming you are using Photos on the MacBook Pro and that it has iCloud Photo Library turned on), you could turn off iCloud Photo Library on your phone (via Settings > iCloud > Photos) and then delete photos from your phone. Note that after doing that no new photos would be automatically transferred from your phone to iCloud and to your Mac. You would have to transfer the photos manually. Also note that if you later turned it back on, all of the iCloud photos would again download to your phone and you would be back in the same storage problem. If you turn off iCloud Photo Library on your phone, and if your only objective in turning it on in the first place was to transfer photos to your Mac, then you may also want to turn it off on your Mac (after being certain that originals have downloaded to the Mac). It is hard to recommend without knowing why you turned it on in the first place. There is information about turning it off on one or all devices in Get help with your iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Jun 11, 2015 6:59 PM in response to digitalneg

You aren't alone in the way you were thinking. Many people have thought or assumed they could store data in iCloud and completely remove it from their devices. There are 3rd party services that allow data/photos to be relocated from computers/phones and stored only on a cloud service. Apple does not currently offer that option. Using iCloud will not ensure that you don't run out of memory on your device. As I said in my initial response:

The most you can do to reduce storage required on the phone is to go to Settings > Photos & Camera and turn Optimize iPhone Storage to on.

You could make a suggestion for that option to be offered: https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

How do I remove photos from iPhone 5c?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.