Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to to get iPhoto since the recent upgrade on macbook pro

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 12:39 PM

5 replies

Jun 11, 2015 2:26 PM in response to msmeicee

Photo was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock with the upgrade to Yosemite. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's instructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Aug 30, 2015 12:48 AM in response to msmeicee

I recently had this problem, just resolved it, and now I must write this and share before I go to bed.

There is only one true way to get your photos from iPhoto to Photos, if you EVER encounter this error (Unable to get metadata). You can try and try, but you will only get portions of your library. In my experience, I would get between 3-8000 photos, of a 13,000 photo collection. There would be no consistency or pattern to the photos unable to be retrieved, but in every instance some, or all were lost. It was like Apple is cornering us to buy a monthly storage cloud, by making older programs and their library unstable. My method is the cleanest and more sure way to get your entire library over to a clean OS X Yosemite build, from any older and only upgraded OS's.

1. Launch iPhotos

2. Export entire collection to External Drive

3. Import entire collection into Photos

4. Export entire collection (2x) into External Drive

5. Wipe and Restore system

6. Import entire collection into OS X Yosemite Photos App.

Again, this is to migrate from any old iPhotos, to a new OS X Yosemite build. Any other attempt outside of paying or iCloud is almost certain to lose files.

Cheers.

Ekim

Aug 30, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Ekim_Rezim

1. I'm not sure you've posted this in the correct place as it has nothing to do with the question asked.

2. Your problem was most likely caused by a damaged iPhoto Library. Perhaps you should have tried repairing that.

3. Your "solution" is destructive and causes dataloss. You need to warn folks about the consequences. It loses the non-destructive editing feature in both apps. Unless exporting correctly you could also lose image quality and metadata. You certainly lose all the organisation you've done in iPhoto.

4. I have no idea why you would need to wipe and restore the system, nor why on earth you would export multiple times.

Migrating from iPhoto does not require iCloud Library nor paying for anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.