Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Application error, "cannot save data files" after downloading update

Hi All,

I've been running the Lord of the Rings Online Game with no problems using 10.10.3.. A few days ago I began receiving an error: "cannot save data files" within the application after it downloaded an update and tried to install the patch. Their technical support is not very familiar with MAC OS X and I've wasted hours following their suggestions. They think Gatekeeper is disallowing access, but I don't know what to do about that. I've tried running the update process from admin and standard user accounts. I've de/reinstalled the app (4x) and run the update (4x) using both standard and admin accounts. I've checked that all the permissions to the app and subfolders are correct and I've verified I'm allowing apps downloaded from anywhere. I don't run any antivirus apps and I'm not running any other security software. I seem to be downloading the application update files fine, but the OS isn't allowing them to be saved. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 11:32 AM

5 replies

Jun 11, 2015 6:20 PM in response to Oddfell

Apparently you're not alone:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?570099-LOTRO-won-t-load-after-patch- download-this-morning-Unable-to-save-dat…

Some defective software installers may fail when Gatekeeper is enabled. Think carefully about whether you really want to run such an installer. If you do, temporarily change the setting to

Allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere

When the installation is done, revert the setting.

Jun 11, 2015 10:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

SOLVED: problem was with choosing high-res settings during installation - something between LOTRO's high-res files and MAC OS X. Nothing to do with certificates, permissions, antivirus or firewalls. Thank you Linc Davis for your replies - you actually referenced my thread at lotro.com which is a must for anyone experiencing this problem.

Application error, "cannot save data files" after downloading update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.