Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop xfinitywifi from hijacking my internet conection? I have clicked the lock shut, but that doesn't help.

I am having a problem with xfinitywifi malware that hijacks my internet server choice away from my regular provider. I have clicked the lock shut after choosing my provider, but this makes no difference. Is there a way to block this, or remove xfinitywifi from the drop down list of service in my vicinity? When it strikes I get a loud warning message on a tab that cannot be closed and have to force shut down my computer each time. The malware also attaches itself to the bookmark of the site that was open, so that I have to delete it and reenter.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 1:16 PM

Have you tried going to System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced -> WiFi -> Preferred Networks, See if XfinityWiFi is in the list and remove it by selecting it and clicking on the [-] minus button.

For your Browser, you might try launching it while holding the "Shift" key that should remove any cached information. I'm wondering if that will clear up your browser vs XfinityWiFi issues.

Unless you are the Comcast customer with the Comcast WiFi router that is putting out the XfinithWiFi signal, you cannot make it go away.

If you are the Comcast customer, then you can contact Comcast and tell them you want them to disable XfinityWiFi on your Comcast provide WiFi router.

If it is your neighbors, then only they can ask Comcast to disable the XfinityWiFi radios on their Comcast WiFi routers.

They did not want to do it at first, saying it would not affect my home bandwidth, but I pushed back that the radio was interfering with my own WiFi base stations. And if you live in an appartment/condo/flat/etc... where there are lots of competing WiFi radios, added extra XfinityWiFi channels just makes things worse, so that can be another pushback argument to get Comcast to disable the XfinityWiFi radios on your Comcast WiFi router.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2015 1:16 PM in response to patfromold saybrook

Have you tried going to System Preferences -> Network -> WiFi -> Advanced -> WiFi -> Preferred Networks, See if XfinityWiFi is in the list and remove it by selecting it and clicking on the [-] minus button.

For your Browser, you might try launching it while holding the "Shift" key that should remove any cached information. I'm wondering if that will clear up your browser vs XfinityWiFi issues.

Unless you are the Comcast customer with the Comcast WiFi router that is putting out the XfinithWiFi signal, you cannot make it go away.

If you are the Comcast customer, then you can contact Comcast and tell them you want them to disable XfinityWiFi on your Comcast provide WiFi router.

If it is your neighbors, then only they can ask Comcast to disable the XfinityWiFi radios on their Comcast WiFi routers.

They did not want to do it at first, saying it would not affect my home bandwidth, but I pushed back that the radio was interfering with my own WiFi base stations. And if you live in an appartment/condo/flat/etc... where there are lots of competing WiFi radios, added extra XfinityWiFi channels just makes things worse, so that can be another pushback argument to get Comcast to disable the XfinityWiFi radios on your Comcast WiFi router.

How can I stop xfinitywifi from hijacking my internet conection? I have clicked the lock shut, but that doesn't help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.