Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Servers on my computers

The mail accounts on my Macbook Pro are pop accounts. I recently had problems with an older computer (iMac 2005) that I keep for my grandson. I tried to create a pop account on the iMac-- it would only let me create an iMap account. I had to use the password for my server, Comcast, in order to get the mail account to work. Using the password for Apple, which I use on the Macbook Pro pop accounts, gave me an error message that the account couldn't connect to the server. Anyone have any ideas for that?

The iMac is running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard; the MacBook Pro is running 10.10.3 Yosemite.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 2:05 PM

Hello Nancy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The error message that says Mail cannot connect to the server indicates there is likely a setting in your Mail server settings that is configured incorrectly. In order to help resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.

“Could not connect to this . . . server.”

The settings for your email account may not be correct. Check Mail preferences to make sure that your email account settings are up to date. You can use the Mail Settings Lookup tool to check the settings for many email providers, or get them from your email provider.

You may also see this message if a network firewall is blocking the connection to your email service. That can happen if you installed third-party firewall software, or you're on a different network that doesn't allow the necessary email connections. If you're connecting from your corporate network, contact your corporate IT department for help. If you're connecting from somewhere else, such as a coffee shop or Internet cafe, check with their staff.

Use Mail Connection Doctor - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Nancy Blazis

Hello Nancy,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The error message that says Mail cannot connect to the server indicates there is likely a setting in your Mail server settings that is configured incorrectly. In order to help resolve this issue, please follow the steps below.

“Could not connect to this . . . server.”

The settings for your email account may not be correct. Check Mail preferences to make sure that your email account settings are up to date. You can use the Mail Settings Lookup tool to check the settings for many email providers, or get them from your email provider.

You may also see this message if a network firewall is blocking the connection to your email service. That can happen if you installed third-party firewall software, or you're on a different network that doesn't allow the necessary email connections. If you're connecting from your corporate network, contact your corporate IT department for help. If you're connecting from somewhere else, such as a coffee shop or Internet cafe, check with their staff.

Use Mail Connection Doctor - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Different Servers on my computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.