Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I locate and delete the malware that set my Google Chrome home page to http://websearch.searchitwell.info/

I've tried several steps already, including:

- scanning my computer with AdwareMedic and removing all malware found by the application

- manual file search and deletion using these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

- searching for the malware in the Chrome Extensions tab (it wasn't there of course)...

I really don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:29 PM

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You downloaded and ran a malicious application that changes the settings of Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. It can have various names.

Back up all data. Open the Applications folder and press the key combination option-command-4 to arrange the contents by date added. Look at the applications that have been added since you first noticed the problem. If there is one you don't recognize, and you're quite sure it's not something you need, drag it to the Trash. If in doubt, ask first.

In Safari, open the preferences window and select the General tab. Reset the home page, or just delete the setting. Do the equivalent in Firefox, if you use that.

If you use Chrome, there is a radio button in the startup settings marked

Open a specific page or set of pages

Next to that is a hyperlink named

Set pages

Click that link and delete the pages you don't want. Save the changes.

Then select the Extensions tab in the Safari preferences window. For any extension with a name you don't recognize, select it and click Uninstall. If in doubt, delete all extensions. None required for normal operation.

If you use Firefox or Chrome, do the equivalent in those browsers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2015 10:29 PM in response to ischer18

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You downloaded and ran a malicious application that changes the settings of Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. It can have various names.

Back up all data. Open the Applications folder and press the key combination option-command-4 to arrange the contents by date added. Look at the applications that have been added since you first noticed the problem. If there is one you don't recognize, and you're quite sure it's not something you need, drag it to the Trash. If in doubt, ask first.

In Safari, open the preferences window and select the General tab. Reset the home page, or just delete the setting. Do the equivalent in Firefox, if you use that.

If you use Chrome, there is a radio button in the startup settings marked

Open a specific page or set of pages

Next to that is a hyperlink named

Set pages

Click that link and delete the pages you don't want. Save the changes.

Then select the Extensions tab in the Safari preferences window. For any extension with a name you don't recognize, select it and click Uninstall. If in doubt, delete all extensions. None required for normal operation.

If you use Firefox or Chrome, do the equivalent in those browsers.

How do I locate and delete the malware that set my Google Chrome home page to http://websearch.searchitwell.info/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.