Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I speed up iTunes metadata processing (updating tags) for .mp4 files?

I am trying to add artwork to .mp4 files in my iTunes library. I've been doing this for years and it has always been excruciatingly slow. I was wondering if there is anyway to speed up this process. Sometimes the .mp4 files are updated with the new artwork instantaneously. Other times it can take five or more minutes. I have a lot of files I'd like to add artwork to and very little time. I have disabled smart playlist, deleted almost all of my playlists in the sidebar, turned off genius, and turned of iTunes match. These steps did not succeed in making metadata processing/tagging faster. If there is another FREE tagging/metadata application I can use, I am all ears. However, I have tried using MetaX and MetaZ and they are equally as slow.

Below are the system details for my computer.

System Details:

OSX Yosemite

Version 10.10.3

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Currently 98GB/500GB free on disk *still had this problem with 300GB+ free on disk*

Running latest iTunes (12.1.2) as of June 12, 2015

Thanks for any possible help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:11 PM

3 replies

Jun 12, 2015 5:42 AM in response to Movie_Freak

If you yourself add artwork to an item a reference copy is added to iTunes' artwork folder but a copy also gets embedded in the media file if the file format supports this (pretty much all except WAV). This involves completely re-writing the file which can take time with larger files. If iTunes adds artwork it places the artwork only in a reference file in the artwork folder and displays that copy when you view an item. Given that it is essentially the re-writing of the file that takes time I don't know if there is any way to avoid this. You are welcome to try other taggers and see if they speed up the write time but I don't know you will find that is a documented parameter. I also don't know if any can add artwork the way iTunes does and just add it to the artwork folder and not to the file itself. iTunes will often get artwork from files when they are added or artwork is added using a third party tagger and then the file is re-examined by iTunes, so I think third party taggers simply do it by adding to the file.

Jul 28, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Movie_Freak

I finally solved this problem by circumventing iTunes all together. I have been using an application called "Fasticns". It allows me to change the file's picture instantaneously without completely rewriting the file/metadata. It is extremely easy to use and can be used to change the the view of files, folders, and icons. It simply adds the artwork to the folder image shown at the top left corner when you select "get info". Although it doesn't rewrite the file, it has the same results. This method is 1000x's faster and I would recommend to anyone!

Jul 28, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Limnos

I finally solved this problem by circumventing iTunes all together. I have been using an application called "Fasticns". It allows me to change the file's picture instantaneously without completely rewriting the file/metadata. It is extremely easy to use and can be used to change the the view of files, folders, and icons. It simply adds the artwork to the folder image shown at the top left corner when you select "get info". Although it doesn't rewrite the file, it has the same results. This method is 1000x's faster and I would recommend to anyone!

How can I speed up iTunes metadata processing (updating tags) for .mp4 files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.