Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app can't send mail, connection ok

Hi there, I have several Macs running Imap accounts. Suddenly on 1 Mac I can't send mail from 1 mail account. Nothing has changed on the settings. Although status gives green light on sending and receiving, sending doesn't work. I don't get a warning or an error, when I hit send. There's also no process bar and the mail just disappears. Also when composing an e-mail on this account I can't save it as draft. Just as the mail isn't there. All other mail accounts on this machine run without any problems. Any ideas? TIA!

MacPro 4,1

OS10.7.5

Mail 5.3

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 12:50 AM

16 replies

Feb 14, 2017 12:34 PM in response to Server rookie

Do you see the Outbox in the folder list? If yes, check to see if there is a stuck message in the Outbox. If yes, delete the email or move it to drafts.

Still not working....

Quit Mail.

Go to the User's Library (see below) > Mail > V2 > Maildata folder

Delete the three files with Envelope in the name. If there are more with additional info after the name, delete everything that starts with Envelope.

Envelope Index

Envelope Index-shm

Envelope Index-wal

In the Mailboxes folder, delete the Outbox.mbox

Open Mail. This will reindex your files.

Now try sending.

Show User's Library

The User's Library folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Finding the User Library Folder

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/resources/0167/site/chap11.html#FindingtheUserLi braryFolder

Jun 12, 2015 1:02 AM in response to Server rookie

Hi. You may find useful info in this article: If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

You may also try to re-create your account by following these steps.

Removing an Exchange or Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) account doesn’t permanently delete the account’s mailboxes and messages because they are stored on the mail server. To retrieve the account’s mailboxes and messages from the server, add the account again in Mail.

1. Open Mail.app. Go to Mail > Preferences and select the Accounts tab;

2. Select your affected account;

3. Click Remove ➖ at the lower left of the screen;

4. Quit Mail.app.

Then, create new account:

1. Click the + at the lower left of the screen. Select 'Add Other Mail Account…'

2. Fill in your name, email address and password;

3. Click the Create button.

Jun 12, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Server rookie

Most likely you just need to add the password for SMTP settings.

Under Windows in the Menu bar select Connection doctor. You will see green to indicate a connection and red to show there is a problem. Except for iCloud & Exchange accounts you'll see two entries for each account 1) receiving and 2 SMTP for sending.

EDIT SMTP SETTINGS

In Accounts window > Outgoing Mail Server SMTP: select to Edit SMTP Server list... from popup.

Select account in the list.(It's not uncommon to find extra SMTP servers listed. When you remove account, Mail does not delete the smtp info. You might need to do some clean up in the list to remove the extras.)

Under Advanced Tab:

Apple defaults to the default ports (25,465, 587) but some servers prefer a custom port. Check to see what port they recommend. Gmail for example likes 465, Outlook.com 587.

Verify if your server require SSL.

User Name. Enter full email address eg. UserName@gmail.com

Add password if it is blank.(If you have two step authentication setup, you'll need to get an app specific password more info)

http://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Open Connection Doctor under Window in the Menu bar.

Do you see green light now for your account SMTP?

Jun 17, 2015 2:47 AM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks Diane. I've checked the Outbox and there was 1 e-mail stuck from over a year ago. After removing that the situation is still the same. With this e-mail account I can only reply on messages sent to me and as long as I don't add an attachment to it. I've never had any issues with Mail before on this machine. And there were no changes made to the settings as well. That makes it so odd.

Jun 17, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Server rookie

Log into your account in your browser. Make sure the message is not showing in the Outbox, Drafts or Trash.

Remove the account once again then add back. If you still have problems, let's try the full monty on Mail.

With Mail quit...

With Mail quit....

Go to the User's Library folder. This folder is hidden by default. To unhide: Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

• Go to Containers. Drag the com.apple.mail folder to the Desktop

• Go to Mail folder.

Select the V2 > MailData folder.

Delete any files in MailData with envelope in the name. (should be 3)

• Go to Preferences. If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar

Open Mail. Mail will reindex your files.

Jun 19, 2015 8:16 AM in response to dianeoforegon

I think I've got it sorted. I have the plugin Universal Mailer 1.5.1 running that never gave issues before. I turned it off to see if it had any influence, not keeping my hopes up. As it turns out, it could be the cause as I can now send emails again – even with attachments again – with this account. I have no idea why Universal Mailer suddenly gives issues. I used it to keep the font size of my signatures in check but it did a poor job in doing so. I'll have to perform more tests to see if this is really the root of the problem and Mail.app remains stable. If it does I'll report back.

Oct 14, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Server rookie

I have this problem too. Only time I can send mail is if I restart my computer. I can receive just fine.

I have several accounts, but only the iCloud/mac account is the problem.

Connection doctor shows all green. Settings haven't changed and yes I've added my password. Yes I've deleted and reentered the account.

All my sent emails sit in the outbox.

I do not believe I have "Universal Mailer" as it doesn't show up when I do a search on my computer.

I should NOT have to restart my computer every time I want to send an email. Please help.

Macbook Air

OS X 10.9.5

Mail 7.3

TIA

Mail.app can't send mail, connection ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.