Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

amazon prime app won't play movies

I have Amazon Prime, and I've downloaded the prime movie app to my Ipad, but it won't let me play movies! Every thing I've tried, it will only allow me to play the trailer.

I can't seem to figure out the issue! I can browse and view and save to watch list, but can't actually WATCH anything!

iPad

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2017 11:59 AM

This is a feature not a bug. Heh Heh. Ya it *****. You can not purchase a movie to watch from iPad. You can only purchase the movie from the website. Here is a workaround. Follow exactly or you'll get looped around from app to website and back.

1. Open mobile web browser and go to amazon.com

*if your browser took you to amazon.com then go ahead and purchase a movie that will then be watchable from Amazon Prime Video

*if your phone opened the Amazon app then proceed to step #2

2. Don't touch anything in your Amazon app. Look at the top right hand corner of the screen and you will see amazon.com (normally where an icon of a cart would be). Click on it and your mobile web browser will take you toamazon.com. Now you can search for and Buy/rent movies that will then be watchable through Amazon Prime Video.

Hope this helped.

I posted this info on amazon support site:

http://tinyurl.com/hfn392z

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2017 11:59 AM in response to jodieich

This is a feature not a bug. Heh Heh. Ya it *****. You can not purchase a movie to watch from iPad. You can only purchase the movie from the website. Here is a workaround. Follow exactly or you'll get looped around from app to website and back.

1. Open mobile web browser and go to amazon.com

*if your browser took you to amazon.com then go ahead and purchase a movie that will then be watchable from Amazon Prime Video

*if your phone opened the Amazon app then proceed to step #2

2. Don't touch anything in your Amazon app. Look at the top right hand corner of the screen and you will see amazon.com (normally where an icon of a cart would be). Click on it and your mobile web browser will take you toamazon.com. Now you can search for and Buy/rent movies that will then be watchable through Amazon Prime Video.

Hope this helped.

I posted this info on amazon support site:

http://tinyurl.com/hfn392z

Jun 12, 2015 11:10 AM in response to jodieich

Seeing the same thing for many but not all videos - it says go to a web browser and watch there. I just did random tries - the original Twilight Zone TV series will play in the app as will the movies The Aviator and The Grizzly Man. But Calvary and Batman will not play in the app. It appears that anything requiring a payment for rental or buy is not not available to watch in the app. It's working differently in the Android app. On my Nexus 7 I can rent Lucy for 2 days for $4.99 from within the app but on my Air 2 I get the use-a-browser message.

Edit - from other msgs elsewhere it appears that you could purchase a video in a browser and then watch it in the app - you just can't make any purchase within the app. I haven't tried this as I don't have anything I want to purchase at the moment.

Jun 13, 2015 6:12 AM in response to jodieich

Hello there,

Does your iPad have the latest iOS 8.3 update? You can check this by going to: General > Software Update.

Also you can launch App Store and tap on "Updates" and make sure "Amazon Instant Video" is up to date.

Finally if the above steps won't solve the problem you can restart your iPad and see if the issue still persists.

Hope this helps!

Jun 23, 2015 8:59 PM in response to sparksd

I now understand this issue better after running into a similar problem with the Nook app - I couldn't purchase from the Nook store from within the Nook app. As was so well explained to me in a thread on that issue, all in-app purchases must go through the Apple Store and many large vendors (e.g., Barnes & Noble Nook, Amazon Kindle and Amazon Prime) will not do that so you have to go through a browser and make a purchase in the vendor's own system. So the Amazon Prime app is working as designed/intended and unless Amazon is willing to direct their purchases through Apple, that won't change.

amazon prime app won't play movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.