Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reattach ir sensor cable to bracket in macbook pro 2012 after cable replacement

Hello,

I would like to reattach the ir sensor cable to the bracket in a macbook pro 2012 after replacing the hard drive cable. To remove it, I just pulled it off. The pictures on ifixit are so faraway I can't tell what to do. Googling hasn't turned up anything better.

Please advise,

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 13" mid 2012

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 4:05 PM

16 replies

Jun 12, 2015 8:43 PM in response to neselain

User uploaded file

If you pulled off the black cable to the right where it attaches to the board/bracket there is no fix. It's integral to the board. The solution would be a new bracket/HD cable. If it's the ZIF orange cable you open that connector by flipping up the lever at the bottom of the cable.

However it doesn't sound like that's the cable your detached.

On the other hand if you never use your remote it probably isn't a problem.

Otherwise the cable is here:

https://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2012-Hard-D rive-Cable/IF163-041-1

Jun 13, 2015 8:28 AM in response to neselain

OK here's the photo's I just took:

User uploaded file

Here's the cable out and locking lever up.

User uploaded file

Closeup of the cable using the finest tweezers I have, like dissecting tweezers.

User uploaded file

Cable inserted and lever in locking position.

Be very careful, that cable is tiny and very easily damaged. This is called a ZIF connector (Zero Insertion Force - not exactly "zero force" but too much force and you'll be buying a new assembly.)

Like I said before all the ones I have here are exactly like this. I don't have your model but make sure it's exactly the same. Use at least 10X magnification.

Apr 21, 2016 4:23 AM in response to spudnuty

I'm having the same problem here, i can't seem to attach the orange cable into the locking part. I have attached some pictures to see if anyone can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

I can lift the little black flap up, but it only goes back so far and i just can't see how the 2 go together.

I don't get why on mine i still have some black plastic at the end of the orange cable?

thanks

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2016 10:53 AM in response to elastic

OK, it's a little hard to tell from your pictures but it looks like the old connector is still attached to the orange flex cable. Is that what's going on? That could have happened if the orange flex was forcibly removed from the old board. Carefully flip up the connector lever on the orange flex and remove it from the connector. Then insert the flex into the connector as shown in my pics.

how to reattach ir sensor cable to bracket in macbook pro 2012 after cable replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.