Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop losing my settings?

Hi All,

HELP!

I have a customer who is running PPC with OSx 10.4.

I set Finder to show full path extensions and TextEdit not to render (RTF) files (just show the raw text).

Problem: the customer shut his computer down for the night and the next day, all the configuration changes I made are gone. (He can't edit his ppd files, or find his web directory, which has an extension, and sees all his backups [xxx.000, xxx.001] as the same file.)

How do I stop this?

Many thanks,

-T

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 2:29 PM

4 replies

Jun 12, 2015 3:51 PM in response to ToddAndMagro

Seems like a familiar story. Here's what this sounds like to me: the customer shuts down the computer and then cuts wall power by unplugging it from the wall as some misguided and under-informed environmental articles recommend. He/she also may be cutting power to the computer using a power strip, power "center," or battery backup device (UPS).

The results of any of those overwork the computer's internal backup battery, sometimes called the "PRAM" battery (equiv of the CMOS battery in a Windows computer) that was intended to maintain settings for only brief periods when the computer is unplugged for moving or maintenance. Assuming the computer remains on wall power the rest of the time as designed, a trickle current bypasses the power supply to preserve settings when the computer is turned off but plugged in; the battery does little or no work. If wall power is constantly cut, the battery must work much more than was intended and its life can drop from years to months.

Note: the difficulty in replacing the PRAM battery varies by PowerMac model from a 5-minute job to one that requires a major teardown, torque wrenches and thermal paste. Can you please tell us the exact model of PowerMac? There are three generation of PowerPC iMacs between 1998 and 2005. The second one, the flat-panel G4 iMacs, are the ones that require a serious teardown. If that is your client's model and he/she has been breaking its connection with wall power every day, your client may find that following misguided advise to save a tiny bit of electricity can prove to be a financially burdensome action.

If we know the exact kind of PowerPC iMac we can refer you to illustrated instructions for changing the battery.

Jun 26, 2015 12:48 PM in response to benwiggy

Hi Benwiggy and All who helped me,

Follow up: I do know better that to accept what a customer tells me over the phone. When I got there, I found nothing wrong. When I was originally there, in Finder, I turned file extension. He had a directory something.html and I could not CD into it with in a shell until I realized it had an extension. The customer had forgotten what I had told him and could not find the directory he was use to seeing in Finder. As to the duplicate files with the same name, he found the various backup files I had made (xxx.000, xxx.001, etc) and thought they were exactly the same name, even though the extensions now clearly showed up. On the Text Edit front, I turned off RTF rendering so I could directly see a php file. With rendering on, it just showed up as a blank screen. After I left, he when into the file to change a misspelling and the screen was not blank, so he got confused because he did not remember all that writing inside the file. It took a little hand holding and erasing of backup files, but he is back to happy camping.

On the bright side, I now know where and how to reset .plist files.

Thank you all for helping me with this.

-T

How do I stop losing my settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.