Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I gold plate my aluminum Apple Watch?

Hi everyone,

I am considering gold plating my Apple Watch Sport. There are many new gold plating services, e.g. watchplate.com or igoldplate.com, and they claim that at this stage technological process allows for gold plating of stainless metal watches. They do not accept aluminum faces, like Apple Watch Sport. Has anyone come across with gold plating for aluminum? If yes, I will be grateful for your response.

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 9:40 PM

Unfortunately, the aluminum body of Apple Watch Sport cannot be gold plated in any of the common techniques, as it is non-conductive. Chemicals in steel however are able to bind with gold atoms, allowing for a flawless micro-layer of gold finish for Apple Watch. As of right now, your best option is to get a can of gold spraypaint and some tape, just for the looks! The only way to really gold plate the Watch Sport is probably to actually attach a layer of solid gold or to take the watch apart, both of which are not gpod options.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2015 9:40 PM in response to Davidkovich12

Unfortunately, the aluminum body of Apple Watch Sport cannot be gold plated in any of the common techniques, as it is non-conductive. Chemicals in steel however are able to bind with gold atoms, allowing for a flawless micro-layer of gold finish for Apple Watch. As of right now, your best option is to get a can of gold spraypaint and some tape, just for the looks! The only way to really gold plate the Watch Sport is probably to actually attach a layer of solid gold or to take the watch apart, both of which are not gpod options.

Jun 12, 2015 10:48 PM in response to Davidkovich12

quote from apple plate.com " It is possible your Apple Warrantly will be voided. The process involves dipping the watch in about 3 inches of fluid for about 20 minutes total."

it's always been my understanding over the years that any modification to apple products voids warranty.

it's a risk to take. I always go to the caution and never take the risk.

Jun 13, 2015 7:52 AM in response to jimkraz

Anodized and plated are two different things. Apple anodizing your case, prior to assembly is one thing, someone or some company trying to do this after the fact is a different story, and will void the warranty. And, from what Anthony states, dipping in fluid would indicate the device has to be taken apart, so opening the device would void the warranty as well. I wouldn't say it is worth the risk.

Can I gold plate my aluminum Apple Watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.