Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari redirect to **** site ios 8

My family has two ipads and the safari app is redirecting to the apple store app purchase or to **** sites every time we load web pages. We have cleared cookies, restarted and have block popup on but it does not help. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone off a malware app?

Ipad, iOS 4, 64G wireless

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 5:34 PM

9 replies

Jun 12, 2015 5:48 PM in response to Dxxxx

You say that you have cleared Safari history and website data? Try force closing Safari by double-tapping the home button and then swiping upwards on the thumbnail of Safari. Then go to Settings>Safari>Advanced>JavaScript>OFF. Then double-check Clear History and Website Data. Try to start Safari again. What is probably happening is that a site you are going to is using an advertising service that is not the most dependable, and that is why it is going to questionable sites. Then you can complain to the website for the advertising methods. The script comes from the website. They need to be in control of it. This should clear your problem, and if you run into issue with Java turned off, you can turn it back on after trying Safari out.

Jun 12, 2015 7:44 PM in response to Dxxxx

The software used here on the forum differs from a web browser, and Safari does not have a site filter in it, so two completely different animals.

You do not say if you turned off Java. While this is generally not necessary, and as I said in my first response, it is the websites that are causing your issues, you do have the option of restoring the phone to make sure you have cleared any cache, but I really don't think you need to go that far. If you turned off Java, again, I recommend avoiding the particular sites. You cannot get malware on the iPad unless you have jailbroken the device.

Jun 12, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Dxxxx

My devices are not jail broken and unless every site on the internet is infected ( they all do the same thing) then Yes you can get a virus or malware on IOS 8.3. Apple may not want to admit they have an issue but they do. All my app's are downloaded directly from iTunes. Java off does not help.

Jun 12, 2015 8:14 PM in response to Dxxxx

Everything that I have given you should have fixed it. The device is not where the problem is now. If you put it in Airplane mode and clear it as I said, then take it to another Wi-Fi area, then turn it off Airplane mode, I believe you will not see the error. It is probably a setting in your home router that has been hacked. You cannot hack the iPad.

Jun 13, 2015 6:24 PM in response to Dxxxx

Dxxxx wrote:

Boy You really come up with some good excuses. Thanks

Chris is not giving you excuses, he's giving you good information. If you haven't jailbroken your iPad, and haven't otherwise installed an app from outside the App Store, then your iPad is not infected with any malware.

Since you say that this is happening with every site, your network hardware has most likely been hacked, as Chris indicated. See:

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/hackedrouter.php

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

safari redirect to **** site ios 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.