Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Song Authorization Issue

I have searched through many questions and forums regarding my issue, but none seem to actually solve my particular dilemma so I'm posting my issue here.

I am trying to simply play a song, that I purchased in 2014, on my computer. I only have one Apple ID, and one computer (iMac).

When I click on it to play, I get the following message:

"This computer is not authorized to play "-----." Would you like to authorize it?"

I then type in my Apple ID and Password, and get this pop-up:

"This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized one computer out of your available 5."

And this is immediately followed by the song after the song in question start to play. I have no idea what else to do, but I'll list below a few things I've tried to help weed out responses that won't work. Please help!

---I have tried reseting my Apple ID password.

---I have tried de-authorizing all devices, and re-authorizing this one.

---I have the newest possible iTunes software

---The song does have my Apple ID as the purchaser listed in the info of the song.

---I have tried deleting it and re-downloading it to no avail.

To be honest, I'd even buy the song again just to get it to work, but there's really no way to even do that! (Not that I should have to.)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 4:05 PM

2 replies

Jun 12, 2015 6:12 PM in response to woodingcm

woodingcm wrote:

I have searched through many questions and forums regarding my issue, but none seem to actually solve my particular dilemma so I'm posting my issue here.

I am trying to simply play a song, that I purchased in 2014, on my computer. I only have one Apple ID, and one computer (iMac).

When I click on it to play, I get the following message:

"This computer is not authorized to play "-----." Would you like to authorize it?"

I then type in my Apple ID and Password, and get this pop-up:

"This computer is already authorized. Including this one, you have authorized one computer out of your available 5."

And this is immediately followed by the song after the song in question start to play. I have no idea what else to do, but I'll list below a few things I've tried to help weed out responses that won't work. Please help!

---I have tried reseting my Apple ID password.

---I have tried de-authorizing all devices, and re-authorizing this one.

---I have the newest possible iTunes software

---The song does have my Apple ID as the purchaser listed in the info of the song.

---I have tried deleting it and re-downloading it to no avail.

To be honest, I'd even buy the song again just to get it to work, but there's really no way to even do that! (Not that I should have to.)

Woddingcm,

Have you tried going thru the suggestions in this document:

If iTunes repeatedly prompts you to authorize your computer - Apple Support

By the way, if you do get to your wit's end and decide to repurchase, please buy the song from Amazon, where you will get a normal MP3 that can be played on in iTunes or any other device without authorization problems.

Jul 2, 2015 8:36 AM in response to woodingcm

I have the exact same issue. Only difference is I'm running a mac mini with OS X 10.10.3

I was listening to the song in question last night and I haven't changed anything in my computer. I tried to play the song again while doing some work and I keep getting the Authorization Issue.

I purchased a "Full Album" in 2013 and all of the songs will play just fine, but the one I'm trying to listen to.

I've tried all of the steps provided to me and like the OP said, I would just buy the song again, because I'm now a few hours into trying to get this to work, which my time is worth a lot more than the cost of a song. I shouldn't need to buy something again that I already own.

F.Y.I. I can play this song on my iPhone just fine, so my iTunes account is still linked to it.

This has to be a bug in iTunes. Please Help!!!

Song Authorization Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.