Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail for Mac won't send emails - it says the smtp server is wrong.

I've just set up Mail for Mac to receive emails - most of which I was receiving via a Gmail client. I can send and receive from the hotmail account but the others can only receive mail - they can't send mail out.

Macbook Pro

Mavericks

Mail v7.3.

There are

- Gmail address

- Hotmail address

- various other emails (hosted through Bluehost) - set up using the bluehost automatic script.

- an email for inhouse work fora client - hosted through 34sp.com

I've looked up servers for these various addresses and changed them and still the problem. With some email accounts it claims the password is wrong even though I updated this.

There are 3 types of error message

1. certification wrong

2. smtp server / outgoing server wrong - THIS IS THE MAIN ERROR MESSAGE

3. password wrong

Can you help? Sample error screens included below..

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 12, 2015 8:59 PM

3 replies

Nov 6, 2015 8:13 AM in response to flightoffancy

If you downloaded the El Capitan upgrade you may find that the outgoing mail (SMTP) no longer connects to your host's server. Genius Bar techs are under-experienced, but after 5 visits I got a good one:

1) upgrades do not bother to update their package to match servers of most of the hosting companies, so an upgrade can interfere with your email

2) removing the email account and replacing it (as most Genius Bar techs will do) does nothing to resolve the problem. When this fails the tech will usually tell you that you that they need to wipe your hard drive and reinstall the OS (idiots).

3) THE FIX: direct the tech to go into the library and delete the cache, all email settings. It took this good tech about 3 minutes to do this. Afterward, my email worked perfectly again.

Mail for Mac won't send emails - it says the smtp server is wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.