Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Iphoto libray to photos

This does not appear to be a seamless easy move. My library is on an external drive I have researched other people who have abhorted this because it takes ages & at times seems to stop etc. Am I just going about it the wrong way or should I look for a third party software? I am on Yosemite 10.10.3

Also should i remove all images from photo before starting?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 1:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 1:53 AM

Sorry I am on OS Yosemite 10.10.3

6 replies

Jun 13, 2015 2:19 AM in response to Mobgr

Am I just going about it the wrong way or should I look for a third party software? I am on Yosemite 10.10.3

You need to explain a bit more. Sorry, but it isi not clear, what you already have done, and what the results are.

Have you already started to migrate your iPhoto Library to Photos? What happens?

My library is on an external drive I have researched other people who have abhorted this because it takes ages & at times seems to stop etc

An external drive is no problem, if the drive is correctly formatted and directly connected. Is the filesystem on your external drive MacOS Extended (Journaled)? Is the drive directly connected or is it a network volume?

When you first launch Photos it will automatically the last used iPhoto or Aperture library to Photos, if it can access it.

BTW, it is better not to mark a question as solved, before you even have the first answer. Then nobody may bother to look at the question, thinking it has already been answered.

Jun 16, 2015 10:22 PM in response to léonie

It appears that Photos auto updated from my Iphone 6 & Iphoto libraryhowever it appears that only recent images were transferred. How do I move the rest of my library? My Imac intewrnal HD does not have enough storage for all 130Gbytes. I have looked up help screens but so far have no solution. If i could use the library located into Photos on my external drive this would also solve many of my problems. Yes somehow I said the problem was resolved before I had an answer thsnks for the reminder.

Jun 16, 2015 11:42 PM in response to Mobgr

If i could use the library located into Photos on my external drive this would also solve many of my problems.

Drag your iPhoto Library that is on the external drive onto the Photos icon. This will migrate the iPhoto library to Photos.

But, as I said, you can only use an external drive to migrate your iPhoto Library, if the file system is MacOS Extended. To check the filesystem select your external drive and press the key combination ⌘I (File> Get info).

The Info panel will show the file system in the General section.

User uploaded file

If your external drive has a different filesystem, you need to move the library to a different drive with the correct format, see this link on how to format drives for photo libraries: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

You will not be able to convert the iPhoto library on any drive with an incorrect format, because then Photos will try to write the converted library to your internal drive, that has not enough free storage.

Jun 17, 2015 12:41 AM in response to Mobgr

seperate from my time Mchn

So the drive with your Library is the Time Machine drive? That is also taboo for photo libraries. Photos will not migrate the library on a Time Machine drive either. It will be safer anyway to have your photo libraries on a separate drive. Otherwise you could not include the Photos Library into your Time Machine backups.

Moving Iphoto libray to photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.