Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock IPad if it was locked as stolen by fraudster

Hi guys,

the problem is: my younger sister received an sms from a fraudster 'help, my iphone stolen, here is my apple id and password, could you log in on your device and check where device is?'.

and she did it on her iPad.

immediately the fraudster locked her iPad from iTunes as stolen and changed his password, and the message from iPad is 'if you want to get your iPad unlocked baby here is my contact pay me money', so her iPad currently requires her to input his apple id and password, hers do not work anymore.

Any suggestions? Our russian apple support is saying to go to the police, but they obviously will not do anything with the iPad obviously

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 11:38 AM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Mikhail2015

How did she log in to check the location of the other device? If she just logged into the Find My iPhone app, then it should not have locker her device. If she logged out of her device and logged back in, then he would have been able to lock it. I'm not sure how he would be able to lock her device unless she logged into his account via iCloud.

What exactly did she do?

Jun 13, 2015 4:05 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes, we have physical Apple Stores here, but for some reason that I don't know all they suggested was to go to the police.

And thouh they could catch a guy blackmailing my sister if she doesn't pay he will not unlock her device, I don't really see how it could speed up the unlock procedure itself.

Had to call to Apple hotline in the United States and now I see certain progress in this case (they asked for proof of purchase).

This is how it's done:)

Jul 6, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Mikhail2015

Dear friends,

I have to update this thread because I still need the community's help on the issue.

As follows from above said, all I need is iCloud unlock procedure, I requested support from Apple Inc, they registered the case, asked me to make a proof of purchase, and after I sent them a receipt I was told the case is handed over to the engineers who are to pull my device from 'lost and erased' mode.

it has been one month now, but all I hear from the support manager is 'the engineers are working we appreciate your patience blah-blah-blah', they don't say me the terms till when I can expect this issue to be solved.

I do not think the engineers are bruteforcing the hacker's account who has locked my iPad or deciphering it's data, my case is not unique, there are dozens of fellows like us in this situation. My understanding of the process is there should be an iCloud accounts administration panel, and all they need to do is to find my device using serial number I provided, unlink it of the fraudster account and link it back to ours, and reset the lost and erased settings.

My assumption is either there is lack of resources in Apple Inc so they do not have time for me or something is wrong they do not tell me.

Anyway, my question is do you guys know how I can make an escalation about my issue? Any emails, customer satisfaction and quality control contacts etc would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.

How to unlock IPad if it was locked as stolen by fraudster

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.