Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot upgrade to yosemite even though my mac fits all requirements

Hello

I have an IMac from 2008, the current system is 10.6.8 and would like to updaye it. Now, this is my retired mothers computer which she barely uses. She has approx 186 GB available on it and however it runs SO SLOW! to be more specific everything runs slow...to open the internet, photos, word, whatever...the beachball ALWAYS pops up. So i assumed that it needs to be updated. Now about 6- 8 months ago I took it to the genius bar and he rearranged some things and it seemed to work better but its still slow. He also said that we didnt have to update the system. But I figure it cant hurt. But when I go to update it tells me that I need 2GB in order to update...but I have 186GB!!! So i dont know what to do!

I appreciate any insight!!!

Thanks in advance!

kind regards,

Geraldine

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 13, 2015 12:46 PM

12 replies

Jun 13, 2015 12:55 PM in response to dancingvix

Which model iMac does your mother have?

CLICKY CLICK---> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1758How to identify iMac models

How much RAM (memory) is installed on the iMac?

How large is your hard drive and how much storage space is left? Need the exact amt. Cannot use "approximate" amounts as you did.

The above info can be found in either the About This Mac section or in System Profile.

User uploaded file

Jun 13, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

ok so as im looking into this I see that memory is : 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

and disk usage - 187.76 GB free

so I guess I cant upgrade without installing moreRAM...right? can I do that? or do I have to take it to Apple? Or is there another iOS that I can upgrade her to? I'll take any suggestions because this computer is painfully slow!

thank you guys for your speedy responses!!

Jun 13, 2015 1:37 PM in response to dancingvix

the current system is 10.6.8

After you install your new RAM & BEFORE upgrading to Yosemite you should do the following:

Disconnect all devices from the computer then do the following:

Boot up from your Snow Leopard Install DVD (or the system DVD that originally came w/your comp) while holding down the "c" key.

Select the language you wish to use, and then choose "Disk Utility" from the menu bar.

Your HD should appear in a panel on the left hand side of the window which opens. Select it and then click on the "repair disk" button in the right hand section of the window.

Once this process has been completed restart your computer and repair permissions directly from Disk Utility.

If Disk Utility is unable to complete the repair, you will need to use a stronger 3rd party utility like DiskWarrior, Techtool PRO (not Deluxe) or Drive Genius.

Once you do the above, you can install Yosemite. After the installation again repair permissions and restart your computer.

GOOD LUCK!

User uploaded file

Jun 13, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby Boomer you are awesome!!!

I will do this sooner than later. ugh...i wish there was an easier way. but again, not worth buying a new computer for her since her use is minimal.

and Baby Boomer THANK YOU for editing the serial number. I wasn't sure if that was too sensitive or not. thanks again!!!!!

I probably wont be doing this any time in the near future, but will let you know when I do!

Again, I appreciate all the advice and help this forum has given me!!!

Have an amazing day!

Jun 13, 2015 8:44 PM in response to Csound1

So im looking on the website you told me about and found my model etc...and see that there are many options. what I dont know the difference is between these 2: other than the price. Now am I safe to assume if I buy 4GB and add it to my 1GB Id have 5? or am I replacing it completely? therefore only having 4? thanks guys!!!!!

4.0GB Memory Upgrade Kit: 2GB x 2 Matched SO-DIMMs PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Same Day

$49.99

4.0GB SO-DIMM Memory Module PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Same Day

$107.99

cannot upgrade to yosemite even though my mac fits all requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.